sage bush

Hi, 

We inherited a Sage bush when we moved and im after advice on how to look after it.

The lower leaves look fine but the larger ones up the top seem to sagging and the theres lots of black/dead leaves underneath.

I assume this is to do with all the snow and rain we've had recently.

Do i need to prune it, water it, leave it?? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,933
    leave it now, You can remove any dead leaves in spring. 
    They struggle a bit in our cool wet winters, they come from dryer places. Don't water it whatever you do. :) 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,545
    You can pick off the soft top leaves and dry them in kitchen paper near a radiator or a sunny windowsill.
    Ive got two plants, they give me all the dried sage I need, I let them flower in the summer, the bees love them. 
    You can see new growth coming at the bottom,  leave the top on for now as protection. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,940
    Looks exactly like mine does at the moment.  When the spring warmth comes and plants start growing again I cut mine hard back to about 8" tall, clear out all the detritus from underneath and let the sunshine get at it ... that'll rejuvenate it.  They don't need feed or water ... just sunshine. B)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,195
    Hummingbird hawk moths also love the flowers...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,545
    I had several Hawk moth caterpillars 🐛 this summer/autumn, they live on my shrubby fuchsia bushes.  Maybe they are a different type as I’ve never seen one on the sage, or maybe mine are elephant head hawk moth.? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,933
    Lyn said:
    I had several Hawk moth caterpillars 🐛 this summer/autumn, they live on my shrubby fuchsia bushes.  Maybe they are a different type as I’ve never seen one on the sage, or maybe mine are elephant head hawk moth.? 

Caterpillars on the Fuchsia, moths on the Salvia, both looking for lunch
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,940
    If you want your sage to flower you need to ignore what I said about cutting it back as it flowers on growth made the previous summer.  :)

I  use my sage for cooking and grow other salvia varieties for the moths and butterflies. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh