Forum home Wildlife gardening

Aquatic soil alternatives.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,387
I will soon be repotting all my pond plants including the waterlily.
In the past I have always used Westland Aquatic Compost but am finding it hard to get hold of some as I need a car and by post is way too expensive.

There is no where I can really dig up my own garden soil.
Would Topsoil be suitable? I can get this delivered to my door by the milkman.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,918
    The point of aquatic compost is that it is extremely low in nutrients so enriched top soil would be no good at all. I would use the poorest looking garden soil you can find maybe scrounged from your neighbours and, if you can get it, mix it with some washed gravel. I would pop some slow release fertiliser pellets into the lily baskets as it’s a horrible job wading in the pool to do that in early spring, your arm fully submerged in very cold water.

If you absolutely cannot get any topsoil then using nothing but gravel would probably work so long as there is some sediment on the bottom of the pond.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,068
     I bought a "dumpy sack" of gravel from the builders' merchant. Delivered for about £45. I use it about 75% to 25% garden soil. As @Picidae says, if there's sediment for it root into, you could use 100% grit
    Devon.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,387
    My pond is not as big as some of you imagine!!!!!!
    The thought of wading through my pond made me chuckle and a dumpy sack of anything would completely fill it!
    I only want a 20 litre sack.
    I have an aquatic supply store within walking distance,I have brought bags of soil from there before using my trusty shopping trolley but it seem to get heavier each time as age creeps up.I shall gird my loins and give it a go maybe this afternoon.
    The milkman delivers Multi-Purpose,Topsoil,Growbags etc so I find that jolly useful.
    Thanks for your help  :)
    Maybe your local builders' merchant might let you have a bucket full ?? worth asking?
    Devon.
    Hostafan1 said:
    Maybe your local builders' merchant might let you have a bucket full ?? worth asking?
    One of my problems in that I have no transport to get to these places.
    I have now managed to find some on Amazon (£9.36 with free postage).More than I would normally pay but it does get delivered!
    Being on the Isle of Wight is sometimes a problem as some suppliers charge more.Don't know why as all couriers are here anyway and it costs no more for most things.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    Sorry I read it as madpenguin does not have a car so would still have to take the shopping trolley to builders merchants, if there was one within walking distance.
    can you bribe a friend / neighbour with cake to take you?
    Devon.
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 2,508
    I remember reading that clay  cat litter was a good substitute for soil, light to carry and you can buy big bags.
    K67 said:
    I remember reading that clay  cat litter was a good substitute for soil, light to carry and you can buy big bags.
    That sounds good.
    I have some cat litter (red clay) that I use for my succulent mix.
    Might give that a go!
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,918