Forum home Wildlife gardening

Hornbeam Hedge

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,126
    Pre-digging the holes sounds like a good idea to me as you want to get the whips planted and watered-in as soon as possible after delivery.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,286
    edited February 2019
    I can't see why not if you have the time now, will save time later, unless it
    rains so hard it washes the soil back in. :D  Sorry should not laugh.

At least with the rainy weather we have been having you can see how well it drains.
    We have clay too, in areas water would sit in the holes a bit if it rains a lot, but in other parts it drains away after an hour or so. Dig some and see?
    Though having said that, generally the advice on clay is not to dig when wet.
    It will also give you a feel for the site.

I hope it is good clay soil for you. Good Luck with your nice new hedge.

Edit again took me so long to write I didn't see Bobs post glad he thinks so too.

• Bob, Ruby - thanks!
    That would be make me happy if the rain back-filled them for me! 
  • Hi, another question, I've sprayed off, strimmed and raked off the area that I plan to plant my hedge but would it be rotovating the complete area before digging holes?
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,556
    If you can do that to an area beforehand it’s always better. But be prepared for weeding if you do that. You will be amazed with how many weeds coming up later. Might be a good idea to top dress with some bark chip mulch after planting.
  • once you rotavate you'll expose lots of weed seeds, so expect an explosion of growth once it gets warm!
  • many thanks Borderline and Treehugger, I'll leave that, as it sounds I'll be making a rod for my own back!
  • Few pics of the hornbeam planted. Almost 500 x 3-4ft whips dug in over two weekends. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,890
    That’s going to look splendid 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,054
    Water well, once a week, in summer for the first couple of years!