Frog spawn

12345679»

• JellyfireJellyfire SuffolkPosts: 739
    Over in East Anglia we only got ours last week Jo, I know the timings do vary around the country, presumably depending on the weather. 
    Heres a map of the sightings (last updated 9th March) on the spawn survey. (Link here for anyone who wants to log their own https://freshwaterhabitats.org.uk/projects/pondnet/spawnsurvey2019/ ) As you can see it is much earlier the further southwest you are, so I wouldnt give up hope just yet. Have you had it before or is it your ponds first year? 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,131
    We are in that strip of blue dots on the border between Cornwall and Devon. 
    Ours laid when I started this thread, 8th. February, fortunately only one freeze up on the pond but it didn’t last. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hey Jellyfire /Lyn

I remain hopeful. This was the pond I built last year......so pretty
    well established,
    but obviously the frogspawn I had before was at my previous house. I need to resign myself that I may never get any in this pond - which is a shame as it is a fabulous pond! 

Had a look on the survey map map and there seem to be a few near me......so you never know! 😊
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,813
    Frogspawn has hatched.  Lots of little tadpoles swimming about.  Two weeks earlier than last year.  Must be the sunshine.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,567
    edited 7 April
    I was given some frogspawn a little while ago,didn't look much and it promptly fell to the bottom of the wildlife pond and resisted all efforts to get it back up.
    Today I went to look at the pond and there are lots of tadpoles!! :)
    Really thought it would not be successful.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Interesting. We rescued a blob from a track-side puddle and popped it in the main pond where, like yours, it went down and stayed down. I wonder if ours too hatched out? There are lots of tadpoles, but then there were other blobs of spawn that were already anchored to the side of the pond.