Frog spawn

• HyppyBykerHyppyByker Posts: 146
    I usually get the frog chorus on 6th or 7th March, one year it was the 10th.  But last year it was 10 days earlier and then we had the hard weather - nearly all of it survived so I reckon they knew what they were doing.  The outer ones die but they provide insulation for the ones in the middle (my theory anyway) and if they'd left it til the weather and water had warmed up again they would have been well behind in the growing stakes.

Once mine have hatched I feed them bread - love watching them all attached to big chunk, spinning it round as they go :)
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Once mine have hatched I feed them bread - love watching them all attached to big chunk, spinning it round as they go :)
    Hmmm, bread, lettuce, carnivores eventually. If I lob in a couple of BLTs that should do the trick, right?
  • HyppyBykerHyppyByker Posts: 146
    Yep, bacon rind is another fave food :)
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    Just heard croaking!! Fingers crossed! Though I think it was next doors pond not mine! 😬
  • Is it best to leave the blanket weed alone at this time? My little pond went in last summer,so I didn't get anything last year,except a few water boatmen.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • I haven't moved anything in the pond yet Valley Gardener.  I am hoping (like last year) that we will have some newts and dragonfly hibernating in the bottom of the pond under the blanket weed and the water is still too cool for them to be surfacing.  The blanket weed does as it says and helps to keep the water warmer under it.
  • EsspeeEsspee Posts: 267
    I understood, like a previous poster, that they were vegetarians until they developed back legs then they turned omnivore but meat (flies, caterpillars etc.) was essential for their development.  I used to boil lettuce leaves, shred them finely, freeze in an ice cube tray then feed one cube per day.  We are not great lettuce lovers so I graduated to spinach which was happily consumed and as they matured I chucked in the occasional slug or snail.  My thinking was that the earlier they developed a taste for slugs and snails the better as I am hoping the adult frogs will help rid me of the pests.
    I have no evidence that they do eat them but I live in hope. 😀
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,943
    I’ve no evidence of that either, still lots of slugs here.
    I buy flaked fish food for my tadpoles although I have lots of oxygenating weed in the ponds.  Just seen another lot of spawn covering the small pond. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,156
    Still no sign of frogs nor spawn. They laid a huge amount last year but still too early here (Northants).
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,696
    I’ve been keeping an eye out but nothing yet... should be anytime in the next 2 weeks or so here according to my photos. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.