Frog spawn

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 725
    Lyn I hate it when that happens! Still, I guess they have to survive somehow. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,302
    Our Canada geese have arrived now. Spring is well under way here.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,151
    Yes, I’m serious about chopping up a lettuce. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,058
    Lyn said:
    Yes, I’m serious about chopping up a lettuce. 

I'll do that then. Better they eat it than me :)

I'm going to try to bum some pond weed off somebody ...
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 725
    Our pond was frozen this morning! A good warm week ahead though so fingers crossed it continues a while! 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,151
    That’s what happened to us last year after they’d spawned, it was very cold in Devon. I put some of it in the GH and covered the rest, some died but not all of it. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

We got hit by the same conditions too. Other half found some spawn in a wheel rut and I dug a small hole in the garden, which rapidly filled with water, and we popped them in there. A couple of nights later it was all frozen solid and the spawn just turned to mush.

Any ideas how long from spawn-laid to tadpoles breaking out (i.e. when I'll have to start feeding them!). Is it weather dependent or is it pretty much constant once the ball has started rolling ...
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,134
    I've not had frogspawn in our pond until at least mid March and don't expect any soon.
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 528
    Around three weeks after spawning the tadpoles hatch out from their eggs. Each tadpole is about 12mm long and brown in colour. They will feed on the old jelly mass and any algae which is growing on it.There you are DampGardenMan
    Zenjeff said:
    Around three weeks after spawning the tadpoles hatch out from their eggs. Each tadpole is about 12mm long and brown in colour. They will feed on the old jelly mass and any algae which is growing on it.There you are DampGardenMan
    Thanks! If they last that long I'll work out what to feed them until I can turn the hole-in-the-ground into a proper pond.