Frog spawn

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,845
    edited 9 February
    They lay the spawn on the weed, it sticks to it like glue, no good if it’s sunk, I would get some oxygenating plants in there as soon as possible. Tadpoles are meat eaters, although they do nibble the plants,  you can chop up liver or tie a piece with string and drop in. I use dried fish food sometimes if there are a lot of them. 

You can easly tell if its dead on not fertilised, it turns white. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,415
    I haven't seen any yet this year, but most years we get short sighted frogs laying it in waterlogged gravel trays!  I filled our pond in years ago but they obviously haven't realised.
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Lyn said:
    They lay the spawn on the weed, it sticks to it like glue, no good if it’s sunk, I would get some oxygenating plants in there as soon as possible. Tadpoles are meat eaters, although they do nibble the plants,  you can chop up liver or tie a piece with string and drop in. I use dried fish food sometimes if there are a lot of them. 

You can easly tell if its dead on not fertilised, it turns white. 
    Thanks for the info. I think fish food may be the way to go rather than raw meat!
    Another frog frenzy going on tonight! Can hear them from the window.
    They  are carnivores so they like a bit of raw meat, when your pond is established they’ll eat other creatures and bugs in there. (They’re also cannibals!) 

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 750
    Thought I’d post this here if anyone want to resister their spawn sightings! https://freshwaterhabitats.org.uk/projects/pondnet/spawnsurvey2019/
    Don’t you just love it when you fill in the survey and they instantly ask you for money.

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 541
    Thought tadpoles were vegetarian until they start getting there legs than turn carnivores
    In that case get your pond weed in as soon as you possibly can. Get a cheap lettuce, they like that. 

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,834
    We did have quite a lot but I fear the cold weather has killed them off
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,057
    Lyn said:
    In that case get your pond weed in as soon as you possibly can. Get a cheap lettuce, they like that. 
    You're serious? We do have plenty of lettuce :) But no pond weed ...