Frog spawn

LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,136
Anyone got any yet, our pond is a mating frenzy at the moment and lots already laid, spawn that is. 😀
Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 717
    edited 8 February
    Not here, still a bit cold I think. I did find a newt the other day and it was still very asleep, although it came round after a minute, so had to relocate it as I was digging the area. Not sure I will get any this year as it’s a new pond - a year old. We got some last year from our neighbour but those froglets will be too young to spawn. Still, I’m hopeful!! I’m Herts.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,399
    The two inches of ice that formed on our pond has only just melted today.

Haven’t seen any frogs with ice skates.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hopefully they are still keeping off the top layer of your pond pansyface - although I am sure they will jump into action once the air warms up and the days are longer.  Love your cartoon frog - can you imagine this scene - I can!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,285
    @Lyn, great minds.....
    I saw some spawn yesterday down by the lake , ON THE GRASS!!!. I picked it up as best I could and put it in the water. It leaves a slimy residue almost like that left when handling a slug. 
    I came up and checked and we've got some more in the pond as well.
    Devon.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,114
    I believe sometimes when you find spawn on the grass, it's been squeezed out of a frog by a predator (heron? seagull?) which has got it in its beak...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,136
    It’s been freezing here, the ice on the pond hasn’t long been gone.  Stupid things did the same last year. We had to cover some up and the rest I put into containers and put in the GH. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,131
    Spawn found on grass is unlikely to have been fertilised. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,058
    We've had spawn for about three weeks, mostly in wheel ruts alongside a track!
  • PicidaePicidae RutlandPosts: 621
    Just been out to check - not a sausage!
  • DampGardenManDampGardenMan Posts: 1,058
    Me too - and we found some in our newly-dug, rather "bare" pond. I'm now wondering if we should chuck in some greenery if the spawn ever hatches - will they nibble at anything floating around on the surface? I know they'll eat each other at a pinch, but we'd like to avoid that if possible!

Am also wondering about transferring spawn from the wheel ruts - we tried it with one blob, but it sank ...