Azelea

I have just bèen given an Azelea from a.neighbours family who has recently died what is the ph I should be looking for to replant in my raised bed I am a complete novice in replanting.thank you .

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,166
    They prefer a pH of around 5.  If your raised beds are already filled with soil then a pretty safe bet would be to remove half and replace it with a loam-based ericaceous compost, mixing in with the remaining compost as you fill.  Is it in a pot at the moment?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • No i pot it's just been dug up today I tested the ph it was 5.5. Can I plant it in this soil? If so do I need to add something to the soil.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 7,166
    That pH sounds fine.  The most important thing is to get it back into the ground quickly and give it a good watering with collected rainwater if you can, tap water otherwise.  The roots need to be kept damp until planting so wrap a wet sack etc. around the roots until it is planted.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Ok thank you for that I have a butt of rain water so will use that.
  • Hi Bob bought some Ericaceous compost and planted my azelea here's hoping it takes will give it a good feed when it's settled in thanks for your help,Lynette.