Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Did sow:
    3 sungold f1 cherry tomato, 3 shirley f1 regular tomato and 3 yellow delight tomato, all individually in 75mm modulus.
    2 baby f1 cucumber in individual 100mm square pots.
    50 white Lisbon spring onion in four 75mm modulus
    All now in the propagator at home.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    Cut down the autumn raspberries and shifted some bulb pots closer to the back doors. The squirrels have been digging again, grr...😡.
    Sowed my first batch of seeds this afternoon. Six types of hardy perenials in a module tray, and four micro trays of half hardies in the heated prop.
    Holding back on the toms and cukes until March.
  • Took 6 bags of poor soil and weeds to the recycling tip, son-in-law in waiting mowed the lawn using the ride-on which made a quick job of the lawn.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,903
    Tangled with some of my meanest plants today.

Remembered to cut back the roses that need it and also chopped a few lengths off a rambler who in turn tried to chop a few lengths off me. Need to climb back in and tie some bits back, but another day. 

Chopped back the clems that require it, but left most of the old stuff in place as I've nowhere to put it. First brown bin isn't til April.

Snipped some brambles to the ground, can't dig them out as not accessible. Crawled into the blackthorn to cut some down and also dig out weed geums. 

Realised I'd sat two ornamental stumps on top of upcoming bulbs. The underside of one was full of cellar slugs, my favourite kind of slug. Put that one near the pond.

Moved stump 2 and spent sometime replanting around it before deciding I didn't like it there and rolled it away under my bird feeders. I like a nice stump, but they can't just sit anywhere and look ok. Found a half size frog while doing this, built a cave around it from clay lumps and rotting wood. Does that mean it's a female frog as it's overwintering on land? I didn't think to ask. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,302
    Pruned the grapevine at last 😊 attempted to persuade a honeysuckle to keep to allocated area and cut back a shrub rose that was encroaching over the terrace. Then it turned grey and chilly out there so I came back indoors ... gently does it 🤭 ... and had a telephone chat with @WonkyWomble about sweet peas 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,517
    Cut the grass (just on a long-ish setting to to even it up, and encourage the parts that were resown last autumn to thicken up).  Also cut back/pulled up a load of dead stuff that didn't get done last Autumn - green bin is nearly full but won't be emptied until March :-(
    And enjoyed the daffs and crocuses :-)

• spotted a bee and a butterfly all this sunny weather they are liking it
    Hardly seen a butterfly yet this year, just the odd Red Admiral. I would usually have seen Brimstones by now.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,707
    I just pottered again, tidying up mainly, lightly pruning my double cordon gooseberries. Saw that the rhubarb was coming through so promptly dug that up and moved it into the middle of its new square. Raked out more hedge debris our side and laid some Terram along the gap between the wall and the Leaf Bin. Pegged it down, hoping it might keep the bindweed at bay. Was going to cover it with wood chip but now thinking I might leave it bare as easier to brush down and keep tidy. It's a very tough weed control fabric. Putting it back behind the shed, I nearly got myself stuck between the water butt and shed, which would have been interesting as OH out all day!
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,593
    Scrambled behind the pond to do some pruning and tidying. I have several piles of prunings just from this week, so I need to shred or cut up those more and decide whether to bin or compost those bits. I have a little space right at the back of the pond border, in shade, so I may put some Hostas or ferns there. Also I have a space next to my big Ceanothus which will need something - I have put a potted Fatsia Japonica there for now and will read-up on what conditions they like before either planting it or thinking of something else. 
    Great to be outside and get hands dirty today.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    Yes I have been potting up  some bulbs. A bit late but I found some Alliums I had mislaid.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'