Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566
    How inconsiderate purplerallim!  ;) Hampshire Hog, l hope your wife is better very soon and you can get back to the allotment  - at least you have the seed sowing to be getting on with  :)
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    Commiserations HH. Hope your wife gets better soon.
    Having had a much needed back and shoulder massage, I felt okay this afternoon to finally finish my hedge project, spreading 11 bags of bark chips over the debris. Looks much better so hope the neighbours appreciate it!       
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Kitty 2Kitty 2 Posts: 5,150
    Have had very spring-like weather outside in the sunshine for the past couple of days. Have done some general tidying up and jetwashed the patio nearest the house. 
    Happy to see some crocosmia Lucifer seedlings emerging in the cold frame, pinched out the autumn sown sweet peas.

Got round to assembling the tubular staging shelves in the conservatory and set up the propagator, ready for seed sowing. Just need to buy some compost and sort through my seed tin next. 🌱😀

Sorry to read that your wife is unwell HH. I hope she's feeling better soon.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    Dig out and levelled the last bit of ground ready for hardcore And finished levelling paths between veg beds. Then carried 20x60L bags of wet composted manure up hill from the front of the house to the back, it almost broke me with the added bonus of eau de horse! I hoofed 10 of them into beds and then just had to stop for a cup of tea and to cook dinner... is it wine o’clock yet? Cream crackered!!
  • Over the past few days I have built a new raised bed with scaffold boards and been barrowing compost, both home made and council green waste compost we have had delivered to the plots. I am having another go at a no dig raised bed, they have never worked for me in the past always ended up like concrete & full of perennial weed. Trying cardboard underneath as weed suppressant, and using mostly compost & little soil, as recommended by Charles Dowding we will see if this works any better!
    AB Still learning

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    That’s that’s exactly what I’m doing Allotmentboy! 😀
  • Logan4Logan4 Posts: 2,590
    Planted some polyanthus and tyding the lawn edges and cutting away a bit more to make the borders wider.
  • Sorry to read that your wife has been unwell, and hope that this Spring like weather will give her a much needed boost. We transplanted a few wild violet plants, I repotted more seedlings sown last Autumn (in greenhouse) and sorted through my seed packets ready for a mammoth sowing session next week (I hope). OH mowed field border - path. 
  • If the weather holds as well as seed sowing @Guernsey Donkey2 like you,  I hope to take down the old shed ready to build the raised beds. If it's good enough plan to use shed wood to build beds from, alot of it looks ok and I do like to recycle. 
  • Thank you all for your get well wishes, wife is better today and I think we have turned a corner thank you  :) But it's always a long process as she has PPMS and everything just takes longer

I did get just half an hour at the allotment this morning while the carers were in looking after the her, just time to pick up some seed trays, compost etc and have a quick look / check around.

The new seed order arrived this morning so will get on and sow a few tomato and cucumber's I also have some brewers hops I'm going to try and grow from seed if it works I will use them to cover the 6' wire fence at the back of my plot, and maybe start brewing my own beer 🥴🍺🍺

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog