Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    I over did it yesterday so am having to rest today. All I've managed to do is to water some little plants I want to repot and bring in a bucket of MPC to warm up in the house before repotting. To be honest, although it's 10 deg out there, it's very cloudy and doesn't feel that warm - that's my excuse.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066
    Another busy day.  Have sowed a load of seeds.  Lobelia, Ammi, Brachyscome, Agastache and Dianthus, some are a bit early, others a bit late but they all took last year.  They are now snuggled up in the heated propagators in the conservatory. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    edited February 2019
    Well, cut back the miscanthus, and uncovered some snowdrops. They were leaning towards the light,  and l swear by the time I'd finished,  they were more upright!  Watered bulbs in the greenhouse,  forecast for at least the next week is for comparatively mild weather, so l wouldn't be surprised if they came into flower fairly soon. Very tempted to start sowing, but think l will leave it for at least a month. Have just looked up re: the Pennisetum "Sky Rocket", that l bought last year - thought it looked somewhat dead, and now l think it probably is. It was sold to me as a hardy grass , l had my doubts. Really I'm old enough and ugly enough to know better !
  • You are not the only one to overdo "it" yesterday - all my repotting yesterday was the reward for an aching back today! Needless to say I didn't do so much in the garden (or greenhouse today).
    Our local food tip has closed recently so the gulls (herring) have been harassing the garden birds - eating the food I put out for them.  OH will be building a roof for our bird table tomorrow.
  • FlinsterFlinster Posts: 883
    Put in another veg bed, painted the boards, lined with cardboard, discovered the vole had chewed off my clematis at the root (I bought it at Chelsea last year to celebrate my first visit... sniff), chopped back some old foliage and stared at the pond a while. Soil is arriving tomorrow for my beds.. beyond excited, can finally get my garlic in! 😬
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Good day at allotment , prunings all done and burnt 
  • Logan4Logan4 Posts: 2,590
    Potted on a Blueberry plant and through away a dead Tayberry plant out of a large container put the old compost on the garden.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,568
    edited February 2019
    Hoicked out the pennisetum ! Much general titivating accompanied by blackbird looking for grubs, also mealworms that l feed him from the back door ! So many snowdrops now, also daffodils and narcissi are starting to flower. The peony that l acquired from my mother in law has tiny pink shoots just beginning to show. Temperature hit the giddy heights of 14 degrees around 2.30pm, sat on the bench and enjoyed the perfume from the sarcococca. Lovely!   :)
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Posts: 1,089
    edited February 2019
    Sound's like everyone has got the garden bug again, it's just great how a little dry weather sunshine and getting your hands dirty makes us feel so good.

Unfortunately that thing called S*d's law has caught me out with the wife taking a turn for the worst so I have been stuck indoors with doctors and nurses attending each day but were optimistic that she is on the mend again but it will take some time. So allotment has to go on hold    

On the bright side all the seeds I have sown at home have germinated now, and I can sow a few Tom's and cucumber once the seed arrives today or tomorrow. 

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • Was going to do Tom seeds today but baking got in the way ( unexpected influx of eggs) so bread and meringue made instead. Maybe tomorrow,  oh wait valentines OH will want a nice meal . Sheesh.