Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• I put my lead lined boots on yesterday and explored the garden for damage etc.
    Still a hooley blowing.
    I thought I had lost a pane of glass from the door of my greenhouse, amazingly, the greenhouse was still intact. I picked the last few tomatoes, pulled a leek and was surprised to see the garlic I planted in large pots 2 weeks ago has come through. I am sure the forecast cold weather will stop it short.
    Today there is an eerie quiet after the storm. The first time I have been scared during a storm and we were only on the edge of it. It sounded like a hurricane.
    I didn't risk going out with the dog for his daily walk and feel so sorry for everyone further North. Horrendous.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,883
    Got up this morning to find a light sprinkling of snow , went down to minus 5 over night 
    , and got up to 2 degrees mid day 
    The wind blew 2 pots over , I did move some to a sheltered area in the garden and 1 into g/h 
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 187
    Freezing today. Raked up a load of leaves for the leaf mould pile, netted leaves out of the pond, lifted some dahlia tubers and potted up the last of my tulip bulbs 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,513
    In a word - no- freezing out there today, not gardening weather for wimps like me.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,883
    Hello , decided to Bubble rap g/h today , as I have more less hardy plants  in there this year 
    Also did a final bit of tidying up , Dalias , geraniums etc 

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 1,148
    Spent three hours yesterday pulling up brambles. They had virtually covered a sloping bank by our woodland. The ground was quite soft after all the damp weather, so the roots pulled out fairly easily, followed by yards of runners, so I made progress a lot quicker than I expected. OH was suitably impressed! Got it all dragged up onto the drive, shredded, and finished filling the green bins in time for collection this morning. Last collection until the end of January.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,217
    Morning Ergates,you were up early. I'm normally up around 2,but I return to bed. Finally did some gardening yesterday. It was ridiculously mild,but damp. I got the dahlias and chrysanthemums cut back, just to tidy them.  Removed the perennial sweet pea folliage.In one of the green houses, potted up some containers with pansies and violas I grew from seed. Potted on lettuces and spinach I grew from seed. I didn't bother to plant them out this year,I put them in the new green house,by the bungalow to make it easier to water and pick. Don't talk to me about brambles, monthly all year hubby is removing them coming over from neighbours!
    Not unless you count re-filling the bird feeders and sweeping up moss debris that the magpies have pecked from the roof.

Our 2 green bins have also been filled and are out for collection tomorrow but I think Bath are re-starting mid January hopefully.
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 767
    You've done better than me Lizzie 27. I've done plenty of looking and took a photo of some snowdrops starting to poke through but I don't think that counts.
    Today I've got half my roses pruned, it was very mild this morning. My snowdrops are also appearing @Uff, I find that so exciting.