Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 189
    Gave my lawns a last haircut of the year and mowed up a stack of fallen leaves at the same time. Two birds with one stone!
  • 2000GTV2000GTV Martina Franca, Puglia, southern ItalyPosts: 55
    Planted some more narcissi and some shrubs in the side border we are renovating. Cut down a small brown turkey fig tree that was in the wrong place (we prefer the green figs). Collected more leaves to make leaf mould. Still lots to do but slowly getting there. Pulled and took some mushrooms (they grow under the pine trees) to our neighbours. 
    Love living in Italy but a Loiner at heart 
  • DrumelzierDrumelzier SW ScotlandPosts: 27
    Tried Monty Don's hardwood cuttings method for a forsythia and a cotinus ?? That bush that has the scarlet stems, anyway... we'll see what happens, if anything.  Also put in some new varieties of bearded iris. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,887
    Hello , I took some hardwood cuttings of roses a few years ago on Monty’s  suggestion and 4 out of six took , I was very pleased and roses 🌹 successful grew 

Had our first  frost yesterday and another this morning 
  • UffUff SW Scotland but born in DerbyshirePosts: 869
    Raking leaves here and pulling up the spent sweet pea plants. Delighted to see snowdrops starting to poke through. Not so pleased to see Narcissus Thalia coming through, far too early. 
  • 2000GTV2000GTV Martina Franca, Puglia, southern ItalyPosts: 55
    Split a festuca glauca into four pieces and re-planted them along with a photinia Red Robin. Planted some more bulbs. I have narcissi Trepolo and Stainless poking through and a flower bud on an anemone coronaria!   
    Love living in Italy but a Loiner at heart 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 8,569
    I also raked up leaves on the lawn from my magnolia stellata. I then crawled under the magnolia to clear more leaves away as there's small scilla bulbs underneath and found to my delight, snowdrops already coming through. Not so pleased to find ivy trying to get established under there.

I planted two pots of bright red cyclamen in my front door trough and found the T n T
    daffs starting to come up. Cheered me up no end. Planted a pale pink cyclamen in one of the front garden flower borders where I can see it from the sitting up window.

Our 2nd leaf bin with this year's leaves is now full up.
  • DrumelzierDrumelzier SW ScotlandPosts: 27

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 8,569
    Finally got round to planting my tulips, 18 mixed purple ones in two large pots. Looking forward to next Spring.
  • DogmumDogmum DerbyshirePosts: 31
    I’ve bagged up some leaves today to hopefully turn into leaf mould 🤞🏻 never done it before, so we’ll see what happens.
    I also picked up some Lilly bulbs that were bagged and left outside a local house with a free to take notice, the proper name is written on the bag so hopefully I know what they are. Anyway, just to be safe I’m going to plant them in a pot tomorrow and leave them in there until I’ve seen them flower.
    Tomorrow is another day