Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    Just about to clear the last bits from the greenhouse,  will have to bag it as hubby filled the bin with grass mowings and cutting back the bushes overhanging from the neighbour. 
    Will pull the beans too, as they are done.
    That will finish this years growing season, except for a few carrots and radishes.
    Talking carrots I didn't realise woodlice will nibble on carrots! 🤔
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    I think woodlice will nibble on just about anything @purpleallim.

Yesterday I pottered in the garden, watering the potted roses, the olive bush and some potted fuchsias. Trimmed the dead leaves off three potted phormiums and paeonies. Also potted on a small echinacea, upended a potted hellebore so I could tease out all the self seeded wild violets from it, accidentally broke it in half but was able to repot both bits with roots into new JI 3 plus grit. Hope they survive, it was rather a choice Harvington one called 'Gold Rush'.

Today, some more pottering when I get off here!
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • Nothing today except from a "quick tour of inspection." I could have collected more leaves, but I'll leave it until tomorrow when I can collect twice as many.

I have some concerns about this acer palmatum taylor on the top of the former koi pool waterfall,  there is plenty of soil below it.
    It was "cobbled together," when I bought it earlier this year, rather than grafted and has already shed most of its leaves. However, the branches are still of a decent colour and it is producing the beginnings of the new growth that will be shown by the other acers  which are still in full leaf. So I'm hopeful.

As I see myself more a  garden manager, than a gardener, (too many other hobbies to get more involved), I do have, "a substitute on the bench," if necessary I can bring on  at the beginning of next season. But that in its pot will be going in the shed in front of a window in the winter.

I do like this rose, it did well this year, as did most, still making the effort.

The rest of our garden is as usual is "all green" from now until spring apart from a few fuschias and the mimosa in its big tub, as it was here in February. We've had it since it was a "stick" in a six inch pot. It gets a prune every now and again when it gets too straggly.

But this year I'll leave it where it is in this centre bed. It's getting too big to drag down the path and under the pergola on the side of the garage.

I don't know if this counts, but hubby decided to empty the shed to re seal some of the roof areas that were leaking ( after next-door tree surgeon put a log though it, but he did replace and repair it too) so I got to go though all my trays, pots, hanging baskets etc. It all went back much neater, in the right places, with no broken pots hanging about.😊 When it was all over the place it looked alot more, now I understand why I'm always looking for the next size up pot, I haven't as many as I thought!😆
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,783
    edited October 2021
    First scarification done

Also trimmed the fence ivy and hacked huge lumps out of my neighbours overhanging dead tree.

• LatimerLatimer Posts: 1,068
    An afternoon clearing one of the beds of creeping buttercups. Not sure I got them all, I'll have to wait and see if anything pops up again! 
    I’ve no idea what I’m doing. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,491
    I dug up and potted two smallish euronymus shrubs I decided were in the wrong place.
    I've decided that due to climate change my garden conditions seem to be getting dryer and I've too many plants too close together,  all competing for moisture. I'm trying to decide which plants I really, really like so have to stay and which others can be removed or given away. Hoping when the dwarf box hedging goes, there might just be room for a couple of roses instead. I can stand up to deal with those instead of having to get down on my hands and knees. A win, win situation.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Yesterday finished tidying G/H 
    And more bush trimming and a few others jobs , garden still looking good 
    Hoping to go to allotment tomorrow 
  • Not a day to do any gardening, I guess for many in the North West, (nor play golf as I would have done if rain wasn't forecast!)

Cue for a song!

Pulled the last radishes, netted a couple of plants to stop something ( maybe the new squirrel) taking them, and potted up some coleus rooted inside. Still trying to root in water some Penstemon,  no sign after two weeks, will just have to be patient