Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Created a path around two sides of a large border, just wide enough to be able to get around the back to comfortably weed without having to tip toe through the border. It was hard going as it was so hot.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,253
    Too hot all week and rain today but I have sown foxgloves and done cuttings of my scented pelargoniums, lemon verbena and lavender. Harvested courgettes too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,819
    First time I've been pottering round the garden for a week, it's been much cooler today with rain in the morning.
    I pruned the wisteria, deadheaded roses and fed them, tied up the delphiniums (again) and thalictrums that have grown really tall this year, did a bit of weeding and picked more blackberries.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,788
    Hello , went to allotment first thing and harvested , potatoes, cabbage , broad beans , spring onions & broccoli 
    Plus a bit of watering 
    Afternoon pruned roses and more watering , home water butts nearly empty 
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,253
    A full pottering day. The sun even came back out for a while. Pruned my Philadelphus, now it has finished flowering, trimmed tomatoes, pulled a load of Ivy from behind the pond, cut down perennial sweet pea, re-arranged patio pots, took the houseplants out for a shower. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,990
    Pulled more poppies, watered toms and cucumbers, dug up some spring onions, potatoes, carrots and the last of the beetroot. 
    Then started the big job of summer pruning the apple and plum. That did us in so finished at 1pm.🥵
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,229
    Cut back all the alchemila mollis to try and reduce self seeding, 2 large barrow loads. Begged 2 wheelie bins of garden waste for the compost, it'll be cooking nicely while we are away (Devon bound on Wednesday for 10 days)
    Hello , last nights rain filled empty water butts at home 
    Cut lawns this evening and a bit of dead heading 
    Amazed at the growth on bushes & trees 
    Just had another 2 tomatoes from G/H 
    Just about to watch RHS Tatton flower show 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 822
    edited 1 August
    Removed the biggest stump from the front raised border. 

It was much easier the second time around as I knew what I was doing AND I bought a mattock to use alongside my crow bar (memberships to GWF Mattock Club are available!). 

I also did some weeding in the back (another 30 or so groundsel seedlings); mowed the back lawn; planted a few ivy to hopefully “train” up the brick wall out front dividing ours and the neighbour’s garden. 

Did a bit of dead heading and also had to move my agapanthus to get to the trunk so I’ve potted it up and will move it somewhere more sheltered over winter. 

I now need to figure out what to put in the space where the stump was. 

Cut back honeysuckle , bay tree & jasmine  , filled garden bin 
    Hedge could do with a trim as well and two of the trees on our stream bank 
    looks like a few sunny days this week as well