Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 845
    Set too on alterations to our dry hot bed. Finished extending the bed, it's about double it's original depth. A big clump of flag iris' dug up, divided and replanted, moved 4 rosemary bushes and a lavender. Dug up 3 alchemila mollis and some aqueligia which went in the compost. Dug a a huge clump of yellow iris' these were a freebie originally half went in our pond and half in the dry bed (I know confusing but the donor said they can manage both), well they all flowered brilliantly but they have tripled in size they have come out and gone into the dry bank around our pond. Cleared all the mess into the compost. 
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 935
    Managed a couple of hours this morning before the lure of Sky Sports drew me indoors. Got quite a bit done but this pleased me way more than it should. From this:-

To this:-

Have had a busy couple of days in the garden despite the very wet weather I just had to get out and have a go. Cabin fever had set in and I also needed to escape from decorating our 5th room during lockdown.

Built my new raised veg bed, it's made using 6inch high concrete gravel boards bolted together 6ft X 18ft. I had dig up the base as it had been an old building and had a brick floor. I've then filled with homemade compost. 
    Note all the bricks which unfortunately are very badly damaged and I can't reuse them. I plan on this being a no dig bed from now on as I try to follow Charles Dowdings methods.

Yesterday I started on the greenhouse base foundation which is only a ring beam raised up about 6inch to give me extra height.
    Again I plan on using the greenhouse for veg/salad growing and treating it more like a large covered bed. I'm going to cover the base with 2/3 layers of cardboard and then add 6inch of compost, another reason for the raised ring beam as it means I don't have to dig the soil over 
  • tuikowhai34tuikowhai34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 696
    Hello!  Planted some cos and rougette lettuces in a tunnel house for spring consumption. Fleeced the other mature lettuces - scarole and batavia and also the lemon tree.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,148
    As it was mild and the sun was shining (albeit low in the sky), l got out and did some weeding and general tidying. OH cut the front lawn.
    Amazing what difference a bit of fresh air makes  :)
  • wildbeast your garden looks amazing great space
    Put up polytunnel frame at allotment today
    Hampshire Gardener
    Gained several barrows of compost from near neighbours (new people who don't do gardening and have cleared an ancient compost heap) so covered the greenhouse base with cardboard and plonked it on top, it's beautiful stuff black and crumbly think it's been in a heap several years.

@Gardengirl.. the garden is currently just about at its worst state I have several projects under go with mess all over. Been on the roof toady so took a photo of the whole plot 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,285
    Gardens always look their worst in winter @Wilderbeast , but your is a good size with lots to do, which is lovely. You obviously have a hidy hole for all those compost bins you keep turning at 4am.😁

@purplerallim they are hidden next to the kids play area and pond, Mrs Wilderbeast does not allow them to be on show (she doesn't preach to the compost god's like I). 

Today I collected next doors duck house bedding, they add straw constantly and only muck it right out every 3 months so it's quite good stuff to add to the compost heap. 

Ordered vegetable seeds, I've gone to Seeds of distinction this year as some of the results last year were pretty naff and this seems to be quite a common problem.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,285
    I don't know what is going on with seed producers, but they are making alot of mistakes with vegetables.  What with poisonous courgette,  squash instead of courgette ( that was me two years ago) or tomato plants sold to GC as one variety turning out as something else.