Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,723
    Haven’t done much this weekend as showers on and off (mainly on) but collected windfall apples - most kicked away for any foraging wildlife, but some to keep and some given to neighbour. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,447
    Had a couple of hours in garden this afternoon 
    Dead heading and moved some pots around and put some in g/h 
    Topped up bird feeders , although there are lots & lots of berries this year 
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 177
    Some autumn tidy up of random pots, trying to get more things into the borders. Cleaned down the patio. And still trying to get some cuttings of penstemon and philadelphus and pelargonium.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,671
    Planted up a lot of pots with bulbs, violas and carex.  Cut back the cannas and put them, along with the tender agapanthus and salvias, into the greenhouse.  Put together a couple of large obelisks and had a general tidy up.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 739
    Bad nights sleep so was up before 6 and outside at 1st light. Turned 4 bins of compost, I thought 2 of these were nearly done a fortnight since but they were very hot again so turned them anyway. Dig up my Abyssinian banana cut of all the leaf and left it upside down dry out. Cut back all the ragged leaves on the Musa basjoo bananas, cleared the tops from most of the hostas, weeded out a patch of nettles that have been hiding behind a huge ligularia. Drank coffee and made mental lists of all the jobs I need to do 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,990
    Good heavens @Wilderbeast!   I too, had a bad night and was up at 3 am with a hot drink and a small bowl of cereal. I was much more sensible though and went back to bed. :)
  • SydRoySydRoy Posts: 166
    I've done nowt... it's cats n dogs!

This can't be good? :#

uk weather forecast
  • IlikeplantsIlikeplants W Mids Posts: 177
    Weather was good today, just a small shower but the ground is easy to work at the moment so got a lot done. I dug our a honeysuckle which was in the wrong place so has never been allowed to grow and bloom. Hopefully it survived the brutal cut of it roots and will take off in its new place. Also managed to get a hydrangea out of its pot and into the ground, unfortunately it just didn’t do well and needed too much watering. Also moved the pink cistus out of the same pot in into the ground. They weren’t suited to the same pot. It’s gone between two fruit trees so hopefully will do well and I can reshape it at some point.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 739
    Snaffled more leaves from the general area (roadsides, drives verges). Im going empty my large compost holding bin and move my nearly finished stuff into it then I have room for more gear. I am quite potty about trying to capture as much of nature's current rich bounty as possible. Pulled a few weeds from the  winter/spring garden and planted 2 nandinas that Mrs Wilderbeast purchased yesterday. 
  • garynortheastgarynortheast Posts: 22
    edited 27 October
    Still picking the last of my outdoor tomatoes. Picked all those that had started to turn colour, brought them into the kitchen and put them in a container with a banana to help ripen them.

Had the last couple of small courgettes off the plants, then pulled up most of them, leaving just two plants that still have some growth and a couple of flowers. Trimmed the dead leaves from them and tidied the area around them.

Pushed the soil up a bit further around my leeks, and then had what is probably the last picking of Scarlet Emperor runners and Blauhilde purple podded climbing French beans. Any pods still on there will be left to ripen and be collected as seed. Had a big bag full of beans and no more room in the freezer so gave them to friends.

Today I need to cut down the old pea plants and pull up the spent sweetcorn plants, then hoe off the weeds ready to mulch the beds with a load of well rotted horse manure. I also need to stake all my broccoli plants.