Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,841
    @Wilderbeast - I rather think your shoulder problem might be due to repetitive strain injury with all that compost turning and bulb planting - perhaps you should ease up a bit!

No gardening today for me I'm afraid, I've still got vertigo which is making life difficult at the moment. 
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 661
    @Lizzie27 the problem with my shoulder is a labrum tear that the doctors refuse to give me an op to fix and have messed about with for 5 years, it doesn't really bother me working it's when I sleep and it's not moving that it hurts terribly hence no sleep 😭. Doctor has now told me it's long term pain and its all in my head to which I say please look at the scan !! Anyway I won't rant. Cleared wind fall apples and collected up all my buckets and watering cans that have blown all over the garden 
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 576
    Finished planting the new strawberry bed - all plants from 2020 runners so hoping something good comes out of this year eventually  :) 

I've had a few concrete slabs that have just been lurking round the side of the house for years along with various other rubbish. Painted a couple and used them for a couple of raised platforms to try and break up the the extreme flatness of the garden. Just need a few nice pots/planters and something to put in them now  :D 

Just the remains of the rabbit run to break up and recycle now to leave the side of the house clear. I've only realised this year just how much sun gets to that area so will be experimenting next year to see what can thrive. A few pots and planters could transform a very ugly area into an extra fruit and veg production site  :)

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,943
    Did some general deadheading and pulled out some more cosmos. It's very windy here and they were being bent sideways. Also deadheaded the Japanese anemones, as soon as the weight is taken off they spring upright again.
    Planted out some cerinthe l found in pots that had been sowed in June, they are trying to flower so l decided they may as well be of benefit to the bees.
    Emptied out some of the pelargoniums from the greenhouse that have stopped flowering, l can now plant up the pots with bulbs.
    Moved some pots of clematis along to the house wall for some winter protection.
    Chopped up cosmos etc for compost bin/green waste.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,393
    Far to windy today , hoping to go to allotment tomorrow & garden on Sunday , perfect weekend 
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 576
    Definitely a bit breezy but the mini greenhouse is still upright  :) 

Don't want to tempt fate but it would take a tornado to get it off the ground now  :o 
    @Wilderbeast, you do have the right to ask for a second opinion, even if your GP raises merry hell!
    I sympathise with you over the pain as I've had shoulder problems ever since a badly frozen one over 20 years ago, it's never been the same since. I find a regular shoulder/back massage really helps, although that won't be the same for you.
  • KassiKassi Posts: 14
    I managed to get away from my 8 week old for long enough to water my propagated plants in the greenhouse and pick (read eat) tomatoes. 

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,642
    I’ve added some shelving to my poly-greenhouse, started a leaf pile and finished the hedgehog hotel today. Just having a final cuppa outside before settling in for the evening.
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    We started leaf clearing today, which is probably going to be a daily job for the next month or two as we're surrounded by big trees. The new 2nd leaf bin is very conveniently situated right under the largest tree so hopefully quite a few will just drop in!