Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 638
    So back from Devon on Friday and hard at it in the garden all weekend. Grass was all cut which took ages it's full of clover which after 2 weeks growth just clogs the mower up. Cut the hedge, it's mixed species of blackthorn, leylandia, buddleia suckering ash stumps in fact all sorts. It had 6ft of growth on the top and is getting seriously out of hand, the new neighbours would like it reducing in height from its current 9ft down to 6ft (the previous neighbours always said it was there hedge and wouldn't allow it to be reduced) which we are really happy with. All the trimmings were mown up and with grass went into the compost. Tidied the beds, alchemila was flopping everywhere again, roses needed dead heading as did lupins. More plans made for moving plants in winter and trying to add more evergreens. Dug up and potted 2 date palms and a trachycarpus fortunei that were totally swamped in the perennial beds, they will go into the tropical area next spring. Had an ice cream 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,106
    Sounds like you really cracked on @Wilderbeast
    Don't undo the holiday and hurt the hip again. 😁
  • islandanchoressislandanchoress Offshore Atlantic island; West Coast of Ireland Posts: 238
    Managed a little. Starting to sort and tidy the patch at the front so pulled out overgrown plants and cut back other invaders. A daily custom now to stand at the big gate ransacking the pea vines and eating delicious raw peas, gazing at the wide view and watching the single pair of swallows we have this year.  Harvest time. 
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 638
    Been a busy week in the garden since our holiday in Devon, the garden is a riot of colour with rudbeckia, canna Wyoming, drumstick alliums and ligularia all in full stride and looking fantastic. Yesterday we planted 2 hydrangea's given by in-laws, an echinecia, 2 lobelias and a Miscanthus. Watered the bog garden I'm a bit worried with this area as the plants are struggling somewhat, it's some 3ft deep with a liner and plenty of organic matter, maybe the plants just need time to establish. Turned the compost bins, the tops are to hot to touch but down below is very cool, keep turning to get a fast breakdown of all the green material otherwise it turns to green snot. Cut back a loverage which had been smashed about by wind, it had got up to 9ft  and is unsupported so over it went. Had a big tidy of bricks that we dig up making a new bed they will be used as edgings, in the process we found our 1st newt (well 1st we've seen) we now have frogs, toads, newt's, and hedgehogs so slugs and snails beware 🤣🤣
    My ferns are struggling this year @Wilderbeast too, so maybe it is the weather.
    Pulled up the finished poppies in the front garden and deadheaded the rest of the pots out there.
    Potted on the string of pearls house plant.
    Today its feed Friday 😁
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,844
    Thanks for the reminder @purplerallim :)
    Just about to water tomatoes, baskets etc. before the sun comes round. Pretty warm already. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,354
    Just noted some tomatoes 🍅 in g/h going red , at last 
    Started picking Blackcurrants 
    Off to allotment shortly 

Have a good day everybody 
    edited 7 August
    I have another 6 ready to pick @GWRS , they are so big this year.😁
    Edited 
    Just picked more than I thought😁

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,593
    I watered the pots and veg first thing (well, 9am) and plan to do nothing until more watering later (9pm). 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • islandanchoressislandanchoress Offshore Atlantic island; West Coast of Ireland Posts: 238
    As the sun was out, and a breeze woke to deal with the pests.. I have sheared a good section of the overgrown wild part with the electric shears, turned what I had already cut. It is in fact hay so I will let it dry and use it to grow my potatoes next year. Utter magic out there today. Ocean and sky deep blue. I ran the shears right down so they are charging again.