Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• JennyJJennyJ Posts: 10,568
    A bit of watering and deadheading, and picked the ripe tomatoes. Too hot for anything else. Grass cutting is planned for tomorrow when it's forecast a smidge cooler.
    Doncaster, South Yorkshire. Soil type: sandy, well-drained
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 3,265
    Got both lawns mowed yesterday in the end. So, having broken up a couple of pallets, I've treated/painted all the various bits prior to attempting to construct some kind of cold frame.
    East Lancs
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Bit of gardening today pruning , tidying up and moving pots that have gone over 
    Trimmed a big lavender bush that had finished flowering 
    Watered g/h this morning , 90 degrees even with shading & door open 
    Having a rest before doing a bit more 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    watering took 2 hours this morning. Everything bone dry after 32° yesterday and its 24° today. Picked another 5 toms (at this rate will need to do an early batch of pickle) 
    The plums are just about to ripen too, so that would mean jam time.🤯 this is all a bit early.🥵
    Purplerallim , agree everything is early 
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172
    Biglad said:
    Got both lawns mowed yesterday in the end. So, having broken up a couple of pallets, I've treated/painted all the various bits prior to attempting to construct some kind of cold frame.

I made a pallet cold frame it has done really well - was on a pallet thread on here long time ago and not sure you can see the pictures now

So here is a few pictures of it

building up all the sides

making the slope

painted the inside a light colour - country cream garden shades 

got a perspex window put together, and handles put on to open up,
    You could have only 3 sides of wood on lid frame to help water run off more with handles on sides, like the one David D did on the Alan Titchmarsh grow at home programmes that were not on that long ago

hinges on back join lid to the box bit

open with blocks to ventilate when plant in

and sand in the bottom ontop of weed matting
    Hope this helps you with your pallet build
    Hampshire Gardener
  • FlyDragonFlyDragon Posts: 834
    Built my arbour today, with a little help from my support bubble.  Too hot for it really but the only options recently seem to be too hot or heavy rain.  

• WilderbeastWilderbeast Posts: 1,415
    @Gardengirl.. nice cold frame I'm rather jealous, I might have to start taking pallets apart😀. No real gardening but Mrs Wilderbeast and I had a big morning tidy up, I have a skip coming next week for a bathroom refit and went big to get all my garden rubbish in too. So far we have about 30 buckets of rubble, lumps of metal and other stuff that we've dug up recently. Made a hedgehog shelter in a corner and a feed station anything helps. 
    Fly Dragon , looks good 👍
  • BigladBiglad Posts: 3,265
    Biglad said:

I made a pallet cold frame it has done really well - was on a pallet thread on here long time ago and not sure you can see the pictures now

So here is a few pictures of it

building up all the sides

making the slope

painted the inside a light colour - country cream garden shades 

got a perspex window put together, and handles put on to open up,
    You could have only 3 sides of wood on lid frame to help water run off more with handles on sides, like the one David D did on the Alan Titchmarsh grow at home programmes that were not on that long ago

hinges on back join lid to the box bit

open with blocks to ventilate when plant in

and sand in the bottom ontop of weed matting
    Hope this helps you with your pallet build
    That's a stunner! I think you may have just heightened my ambitions!!! My main issue at the moment is where to get the lid from on a tight budget. I'm trying freecycle, etc. but may have to bite the bullet and spend some £££s.
    East Lancs