Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,540
    Just noticed my dwarf eryngium 'Blue Hobbit' are finally sending up flower spikes.  Well, 4 of the 5 that is - the other just keeps getting wider - think it might be an Orc?! :D

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,263
    GemmaJF said:
    Cinnabar moth caterpillar, weed is probably ragwort
    Interesting.
    https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/home-garden/gardening/wildlife/moths/cinnabar-moth-and-ragwort

Looks like Ill have to leave the ragwort until September :)
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 561
    Up early before work. Turned a bin of compost, planted 3 achillea's and a fuschia. 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,283
    Nice here today, rain has stopped, not all that hot, some sun plenty of white fluffy cloud. Having fun cleaning plant pots, potting on foxgloves and some winter veg. Seems like the best thing in the world after a few days of enforced non-gardening due to the rain.  :)
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,392
    Just been out and cut the grass before it starts raining again (forecast for this afternoon but TBH I'll believe it when I see it). Everything is growing like crazy and the soil is lovely and moist in that way that only happens after several days of good steady rain :).
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,322
    No gardening for a few days as visiting family 
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,258
    First day's decent gardening weather for a week.  Spent an hour this morning pulling bindweed, two hours after lunch weeding the drive and the borders either side of it.  In between, I made a fruit cake and two loaves of bread, so I'm feeling virtuous.  I'll probably go out and do another hour after Downton Abbey.
    Pulled up the teasles that surrounded the winter/spring garden seating area, we loved the screening effect they face but they had gone very mildewy and looked rather sad. Trimmed a fennel that suddenly flopped completely from its 7ft height. It's thrown it down all afternoon so most of my plans have been scuppered
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,483
    Just had time to pot up some bronze-leaved pink begonias in a small wicker basket to put on my Mum's grave tomorrow and potted the remainder into small terracotta pots that sit on my outside kitchen windowsill. I also put bags of allium seedheads on the front drive for passersby to collect. 
    Up early and turned 3 bins of compost, mowed all the grass after breakfast and strimmed all the edges making things look loads tidier. This evening I've cut back lots of the alchemila mollis that was flopping over everything. Planted out 30 ziniah and verbascum southern charm. Watered the basil and tomatoes. It's looking good in today's sunshine