Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,970
    P.S. Yes I have as the long awaited (two months late) plants arrived so had to pot them up. Not sure how they will do as they are only between 3 and 6" tall having been cut back not long ago, as there is not much re -growth and a bit droopy. How I am going to get then into the beds I don't know, as the plants they were supposed to go with are two foot tall now.🙄 Also don't know if enough of the season is left for Salvia, penstemon, Echinecea and Osteospermum to make full size🤔
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,558
    If it were me @purplerallim, l would grow them on and plant them out next year . By the time they're big enough to go out l should imagine we'd be well into autumn. That's considered a good time to plant, but l'd take cuttings from the penstemon, salvia and osteospermum as insurance if you have enough plant material. 
    Planted out some box plants and irises as some much needed space appeared in the front garden. Dealt with some hydrangea cuttings before heavy rain showers stopped play.
    Don't usually take cuttings @AnniD as I only have an unheated greenhouse,  would they survive -1 in the winter?
    @purplerallim , l keep mine in a coldframe up against the house wall, and just keep them on the dry side, so they should be fine in an unheated greenhouse.  The problem might be with moisture as l find the greenhouse doesn't have such a good flow of air. If the weather turns really cold l put a bit of fleece over them .
    I put all my tubs in the greenhouse to overwinter @AnniD ,  the gazania and fushia do ok so maybe they would too.
    Can't hurt to try @purplerallim :)
  • London_to_LatimerLondon_to_Latimer Latimer, BuckinghamshirePosts: 286
    edited 2 July
    Saw the sun shining so I ran out to paint some more of the fence. Got through one and a half panels before the heavens opened. I hope it doesn't all run down the neighbors side!! 🙈
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 561
    Yesterday I started removing the foxgloves which have gone over now. The FIL turned up in the evening to collect his food shopping and delivered an entire trailer load of compost material. Me thinks this taking my compost obsession a step too far 
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 237
    You can never have too much compost (although you can have too much composting material)!
    Picked the last of the strawberries, watered greenhouse and pots, and given the plum tree its summer prune. Hubby cut back next doors bushes that try to bend over and lay on the conservatory.