Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,271
    edited 8 June
    I did something similar today @Lizzie27, cut down a Markham's Pink. While my back was turned, all the growth shot to the top leaving the bottom just a mass of bare shoots so l bit the bullet. Gave it a seaweed feed.
    Potted up artemesias into terracotta pots for a little display, top dressed with grit. Moved pots of dahlias and salvias into flower beds. Did some deadheading and pulled out a couple more foxgloves. Dug the ground over, chucked in some Gromore and planted Heleniums. Watered recently planted roses.
    Potted on eight Gaura "The Bride" (grown from seed). 
    As it was quite cloudy, OH cut some of the box hedge and also watered the newly planted cosmos in front garden. 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,250
    I repotted a tomato plant a friend had given me and stuck it in the greenhouse to sink or swim! it's much more advanced than my little efforts. Watered the carrot seedlings, lettuce and rocket. I then tried my hand at siliconing mock seashells onto the ends of 6 metal spirals (green cane toppers are too big) to see if these work instead. Watered the delphiniums, rudbeckia and giant scabious that were struggling - we've still not had any appreciable rain.
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 2,101
    Went for short drive with OH, came back with 3 bags of horse poop, so turned compost and added poopy layers. Wasn't expecting to do any gardening today, but managed to be out there from late afternoon until early evening working the compost heap. Just right with cool overcast weather to get the job done.  :)
  • WillDBWillDB Posts: 2,452
    I planted some white geraniums into the middle of my bed, I could have done with a system of pulleys to get me over the planting site without trampling everything else in the process. I need to start practising yoga for this sort of escapade.

See the source image
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,791
    Removed bulbs from box next to front door, replanted with red nastersums for a change.  Planted out mes. daisies, godetia and cerinthe.  I had to water the ground in order to plant them, earth is solid and dusty, rain expected Wednesday...badly needed
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 482
    Mowed up my collection of cardboard and wind damaged foliage ready for the compost heap tomorrow. Working my way round tidying up all the kids stuff after several mad days playing in the garden. Planned out a new bed with some shade, means moving the kids sandpit and mudpie area
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,271
    Washed 40 odd pots, seed trays and big storage trays. Checked over all the plants that would be the next lot for the charity shop, bearded iris, hardy geraniums etc. Potted on, labelled etc. Managed to find room in the garden for one or two heleniums,  but space really is at a premium now.
    OH did some more box hedge cutting as quite overcast and wind is light.
    Got rid of a spare dahlia to next door neighbour,  got some home made chocolate butterfly cakes in exchange.  Seems fair to me :) .
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,330
    Sowed foxgloves and wallflowers for flowering next year.  Deadheaded the front garden and sat drinking tea and eating cake :)
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,736
    @AnniD, send some to me,mmm,Chocolate Butterfly Cakes.
    Ive pottered mainly,deadheading the roses properly,as Ive only been snicking off the heads,never realise some stem had to come off too,Duh! They are putting on a good show ATM. Very disappointed with Mrs Kendall Clark hardy geranium,last year wasnt good,awful sprawly thing with haphazzard flowering,its coming out,when I can get something else to grow there. She hasnt earned her place in my little patch.
    I tied back the clems,as there is rain and thunder due,I dont want them falling from the weight,also done some weeding,and noticed several Sycamore seeds had germinated into little trees,theyve been a pain this year.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,250
    I tried painting my shell cane toppers with gold powder paint, but it wasn't a success. Had the paint/powder so long I can't remember what I initially got it for! Cut some nettles down and mixed those in with very clayey soil/new organic compost, then three it all in one of the compost bins. I'm hoping by the time it comes out, the clay soil will be transformed into lovely, light compost. Deadheaded roses again, watered carrot bed and swept the courtyard before it (hopefully) rains tomorrow.