Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,942
    Non-stop isn't it!  Makes me wonder how I normally manage to do it all and go to work - the lockdown is definitely a plus as far as gardening goes!  Will need to prick-out brassica seedlings soon, and the toms and peppers will need doing soon too.  That's not even mentioning all of the flower seedlings.  Phew!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • PurpleRosePurpleRose Posts: 156
    Hi all

After work we had lunch in the garden. I brought my book out to sit and have a read for an hour.  The reading did not happen.

When we moved into our home, all the flower beds had been membraned, thin layer of soil then gravel on top with lots on campanula plants planted. The past two summers have been busy clearing this gravel, soil and membrane and all was done apart from this small patch at the end of one of the flowers beds. Last summer I had well and truly had enough of the gravel so I left it to do this year. Today, i was sat having my lunch and it started bugging me so i decided to make a start then each time i am in the garden  dig a few shovels full and over a week or so it would be clear. I started it and ended up finishing it. 

I am so happy that it is done although rather tired now 
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 373
    I'm with @BobTheGardener I don't know how I ever do all the gardening and be a builder 🤣🤣 I'm working every day aren't seeing much difference.

So today I planted some verbena, moved all the hollyhocks out to the cold frame to harden off, they've been in an unheated greenhouse so not sure how much they'll require.

Added compost to a raised veg bed and sowed broad beans, sowed another tray of peas for salad shoots and my Ricinus communis "Red Giant" seeds.

Did pizza outside and had a great family tea in the garden 
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,807
    edited 8 April
    Non-stop isn't it!  Makes me wonder how I normally manage to do it all and go to work - the lockdown is definitely a plus as far as gardening goes!  Will need to prick-out brassica seedlings soon, and the toms and peppers will need doing soon too.  That's not even mentioning all of the flower seedlings.  Phew!
    I forget every year how much work it is. I start thinking about the garden in January, planning, counting the days until I can get out there. Then a couple of weeks after starting I remember it is hard work and I've not even really got started. I usually get through by working pretty late into the evenings most days. (not that I mind really, hard to get me back in the house once I'm out there) :D
    I set my alarm today to try and get back to normal life up and out fresh as a daisy at 6am, well up and out drinking strong coffee and thinking bed was lovely.

By 9 I have planted out 12 Yucca gloriossia that were suckers taken last year, some plants that will be huge with yellow flowers (can you tell I'm a garden genius) i took root cuttings last autumn, 12 foxgloves, verbenas, alchemilla mollis, heucarra, berginia and cardoons. 

After that it's breakfast and the real works starts, my turn to do maths and English with the kids 😭😭😭
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,207
    Wiberbeast , enjoy your Maths %# and English !?
  • GemmaJFGemmaJF Posts: 1,807
    15 raspberry canes in this morning. Lunch, then back to putting in spuds this afternoon.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,252
    Emptied more pots ready for summer planting next month.  Moved Cannas into sunny spots to get them started.  Hung bunting from the playhouse (now I know spring is here)
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
    @GWRS thanks I've finished now, my 10year old has proved that I'm an idiot long divisions done without a calculator or pen and paper 😭😭

Back to the garden more planting 
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 843
    Planted four rows late potatoes, on a lovely sunny morning, then did a little weeding in the flower beds.