Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,834
    Ridiculously mild here today, felt more like early March. Did some weeding and pulled out dead leaves etc. to reveal snowdrops just poking their noses through. Pulmonarias are already starting to show much earlier than usual and the hellebore buds are covered in greenfly.
     Nice to get some fresh air.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,351
    Did a bit more of tidying up yesterday 
    Had a wild life camera for Christmas trying to set it up 
    Filled bird feeders today 

Looking forward to Monty’s American garden programme on Friday , have enjoyed his other overseas visits 
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 2,305
    Sorted out the plants in the hanging baskets that i put in the small greenhouse last autumn. Hadn't watered them at all and they're still ok.

It's been dry for the last few days so got out onto the lawn to plant some polyanthus that i didn't get round to plant last autumn because of the wet weather.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,827
    I've been out today,nice and springlike,  and cut back a Fuchsia,Clems,Ferns, all dead sticks from Hostas,noticed lots of stuff coming up. Alliums,and various spring bulbs, its so nice to think after this month we can eat out evening meal in daylight!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 283
    I've had another dip into my new gardening book - does that count?:)
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,097
    Moved a few bucket loads of purple slate, ready for hubby taking out a tree stump this weekend.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,351
    Gardening books definitely count
    Done a couple of hours this afternoon, pruning , can’t put to much in garden bin as it’s only emptied once in January ie. 23rd
    Hoping to go to allotment tomorrow  
  • At last I can say yes, it have done some gardening today.  I have been out of circulation for nearly a month now, but today I managed a small amount of gardening with my OH who had to do all the heavy work whilst I managed to lift a trowel and also use the secateurs!  So today, between the heavy showers I re-potted a My mum rose into it's new larger pot, I re-potted some daffodils, and put some two year old dahlia tubers into large plastic pots for the time being. We also swapped some finished summer plants with pots of daffodils, and admired the first of many narcissus that are in flower along our driveway, early, but no different from other years - the bulbs growing under the street light always flower first.
    It's nice to be able to communicate again now.

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 283
    Today, gardening book has been set aside and - like most others in this most recent round of posts - we've been out tidying up a lot of detritus, droopy perennial stems etc.  Most surprising were the lupins, already in full leaf at the bases and looking extremely healthy...unfortunately, so are the weeds.  As tomorrow is supposed to be reasonable, the hoe will be my 'weapon of choice', along with secateurs for the climbing roses.  Think I'll leave the fuchsia a little while yet, and also the buddlejas, but I believe I can attack the sedums (Himself calls them 'cauliflower plants'...go figure!).  Need to get it done as OUR garden waste collection is on Wednesday; I think it will be worth their while stopping at our house!
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,691
    Welcome back @Guernsey Donkey2

We had sunshine today so have been out cutting down the Clematis 'Purple Spirit' and rose 'Penelope' in the raised wall bed. I also cut back a sprawling ordinary salvia and will dig it up later - I can't bear the smell of the leaves any longer. I planted it under the rose above to trial whether it helped stop blackspot, which it didn't! So it's out.
     So good to see the spring bulbs coming up.