Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,930
    Gosh I'm envious @floralies.  I managed half an hour before it rained again, taking the wisteria leaves off the bearded irises underneath and uncovering snowdrops with buds on!  I shall be walking round the garden soon doing a snowdrop hunt. 
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,849
    Merry Christmas 🎄 & Happy New Year 🥳 to everybody 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,097
    Merry Christmas GWRS & all.  More grapevine pruning today and the potato vine is gone.  :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,686
    I planted five bags of tulips today, after finally lifting the dahlias.  Just a bucket of assorted bulbs I lifted earlier in the year to go in. I think a trench in the veg garden will be required.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 456
    I potted up the remaining 7 dry-root trees that arrived yesterday.  Among them, 3 American Red Buds., 2 white flowering Dogwood, 2 crepe myrtles (don't know the color the Arbor Foundation sent on these, and 3 flowering crab apple.  They are all destined for our cabin rural property an hour away, though I probably won't plant them out until they've outgrown their pots. 
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • Rik56Rik56 WiganPosts: 156
    Its Boxing Day.... get those onion seeds planted folks..
    I put some blue slug pellets down yesterday around my small bulb shoots which had been nibbled in the rockery and every single pellet has now disappeared. I'm a bit puzzled because most just don't disappear overnight.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,548
    Were they the organic sort, @Lizzie27?  Rats love them, apparently.  Not sure if other rodents do too, but I wouldn't be surprised...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    Not sure @Liriodendron, I usually buy the ones that are supposed to be non-toxic to birds, cats and dogs etc. I was informed by my son who'd just arrived this morning that he'd seen a large rat run across the terrace (ugh!) so I've put rat bait inside the bait box and weighed it down with a brick,  under the bird feeder. The only thing is that the rat bait are granules in a little packet rather than the square ones you stick on the metal stick inside the bait box.  The instructions didn't say whether you put the little unopened packet inside the box or opened the packet and poured the loose granules in (which is what I did in the end). Does anybody know the correct method? I'm a bit worried now that the robin or wren could access the granules. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,548
    Sorry, I don't have experience with rat bait, @Lizzie27.  But I guess you've found the slug bait stealer... good luck catching it!
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore