Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,392
    I'm sure some will come up @Guernsey Donkey2, I've just planted a shoeboxful of left over tulips from last year in the school garden I look after, so I'm hoping at least some of them will pop back up!
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,261
    Pruned a pear tree on the Allotment to wet under foot to do much else. Brought in some beetroot and some salad leaves, saving the sprouts & parsnips for later in the month.
    AB Still learning

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,708
    I think they'll be fine, GD.  They flower a bit later if you plant them late, that's all.
    It was a lovely morning here in western Ireland so we gave our new shed a coat of oil-based preservative.  It looks very smart - but I need to get some interesting ebony spots off OH's bald patch...   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
    That sounds interesting @Liriodendron !  I planted up my big front door trough, used the cyclamens I bought on Friday and most of the violas - although I suspect they won't do anything, the roots are still very small after 2 months potting on. Started picking off yet more leaves fallen from a big cotinus bush and was amazed to see just how many tiny cyclamen seedlings were underneath. The paeony's buds are also showing through, a bit early I thought. The cotinus is also for the chop now the leaves are down, far too big for the space and too close to the house wall. Rain stopped play now.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,298
    Planted three young Gages yesterday, Oullins Golden, Stella's Star and Willingham, all on Pixy rootstock.  Had a gage accidentally delivered instead of a plum a few years ago and am now addicted to them!  To make room, I removed a couple of sweet cherries which had rather untidily outgrown their allotted spaces (it didn't help when the tops were accidentally lopped-off by a tractor cutting the field hedge, reaching a bit too far over my side a couple of years ago.)  I expect they'll only be missed by the pigeons (who, incidentally, are also the only ones who know what the fruit actually tasted like!)  Also hoiked-out a flowering currant (the yellow flowered one), which also tended to grow in an unbalanced way, so won't miss that at all.  Took the opportunity to split a few clumps of snowdrops which were just starting to poke their noses through and planted some under the new gages.
    Starting on pruning the apples and pears next, which will involve several 'potterings' before the first cuts are made.  Lots of well-rotted manure still going down and pulling-up of dozens of ivy trailings which are creeping from the hedge and across the flower beds, as per usual.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Gages sound interesting @BobTheGardener. Do you make jam with the fruit?

The rain stopped for a bit by 12 so hopped out and cleared the drains in the road outside. Then we got a bit carried away and started clearing up all the leaves from the 6 big council trees outside our boundary - our leaf bin is nearly full now! Found two daffs poking through which I'd planted outside our new fence a couple of months back. It was a mixed 'freebie' bag so I'm guessing these must be an early variety.  
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 1,079
    Just gathering up wind blown litter and notice that while the rudbeckia and roses haven’t given up...the irises are starting to come through! 😆

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,261
    Quick trip to Allotments this am but only to pick cabbage & beetroot & a check round. Ground saturated, puddles of water everywhere. Some plots have quite significant pools of water on them, mine not too bad by comparison.
    AB Still learning

@Tin pot - looking good. Your irises are more advanced than mine, although I do have snowdrops coming through as well. Been Xmas shopping all day so no time for gardening.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,298
    Lizzie27 said:
    Gages sound interesting @BobTheGardener. Do you make jam with the fruit?

They are so tasty straight off of the tree that I've never had enough left to make jam or jellly with @Lizzie27 but looking forward to doing that in a few years when the new trees start fruiting. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.