Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,254
    @Tin pot - looking good. Your irises are more advanced than mine, although I do have snowdrops coming through as well. Been Xmas shopping all day so no time for gardening.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,281
    Lizzie27 said:
    Gages sound interesting @BobTheGardener. Do you make jam with the fruit?

They are so tasty straight off of the tree that I've never had enough left to make jam or jellly with @Lizzie27 but looking forward to doing that in a few years when the new trees start fruiting. :)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,281
    Pruning the grapevine today but there are so many long prunings (main vine stem is about 50 feet long and 6" dia. at base) that I need to empty one of the compost bins so I can shred them straight away as they are so awkward to pile up.  The compost will be used to mulch under an apple tree but just noticed some weeding needs to be done first (creeping buttercup & dandelions.)  No doubt I'll find something else on the way, too!  :D ..
    Just looked out of the window and decided to remove a huge potato vine which I've been trying to tie-in to a trellis for a few years but the growth habit is just too untidy so will replace it with some home-grown viticella clematis.
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,357
    Manage just over an hour of tidying up today before the rain came back. Cut off a lot of Hellebore leaves to be ready for when the flowers come. 
    AB Still learning

• PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 457
    I got three dry-root trees (2 redbuds and 1 red maple) heeled into some dirt to hold over until I can get down to our cabin property to plant them out.
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,270
    Not sure if you would call , moving sand bags from Garage & Conservatory?
    Did fill up bird feeders 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,254
    Started cutting down our big smoke bush today during a lull in the rain. Decided to get rid of it as far too big and close to the house wall and I'm fed up of having to keep it chopped back several times a year. Need someone with a chainsaw though to take the trunk off as too big for us to saw through. Thinking of planting one of my new rose bushes in its place in the spring.
    Just been to allotment , everything is sodden from yesterday’s heavy rain 
    Dug up some Jureslum  Artichokes , leeks , parsnips for next week , unfortunately sprout so small not worth bothering with 

Taking advantage of a dry day done some pruning & tidying up 
  • Took advantage of the lovely warm sun today and sat on the terrace and looked at the garden instead! Haute-Garonne.