Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 274
    Fabulous!  A dry day, not only dry but sunny too!  Managed to rake up all the leaves - with some assistance from Himself, who also put the feeders back up.  I also added another 80 or so daffodil bulbs along our front fence to cheer up the neighbours in the spring.  Heard a comment from someone whose brother - a farmer in Lincolnshire - is going to have to plough in ALL of his potatoes.  Tragic, considering the work he will have put in.  I understand all root vegetables are in danger of being more expensive from now on.  Let's hope that we don't get any more rain; not only the farmers, but all those poor souls who have been left with flooded homes, need more of the wet stuff like they need a hole in the head.  Saw one of 'our' hedgehogs at around 11:00 p.m. last night, GRWS - fortunately we are in a cul-de-sac and we all have gardens so they are fairly safe around here.  We have one who looks huge, not sure if he could manage to get through our 'hedgehog holes' at the bottom of the fences, he is so big!  Love to see them although they are few and far between, sadly.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,325
    A dry and sunny day here as well so planted the last rose inside the garden and an euronymus europaea (spindle tree) outside our new fence. I also planted 25 Scilla siberica bulbs under both plants for spring interest but the bulb size of these took me by surprise - much bigger than I was expecting!
    @lydiaann Lucky you with hedgehogs in your garden, we haven't seen any here for years - too many badgers around I think.
  • Lovely weather here too, dry, calm and sunny - no biting wind either - how long it will last is anyone's guess.  We sowed some Yellow Rattle seed in field, wild flower areas with too much grass - so hope the rattle does what it says on the tin and strangles that deep rooted grass.  We also hoes the strawberry bed, do we feed or mulch now or in the Spring? In the afternoon we spread some newly collected wood chip over the big flower bed.  Very satisfied with our day in the garden.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,442
    Lovely dry day today.......planted 9 bare root Rose's and numerous bulbs.  Hope to finish planting all my bulbs by the weekend.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,003
    Will be doing some jobs in garden this morning in preparation for Anglian Waters contractors who will be cleaning the sewage from gardens this week 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,360
    Hope it all goes well @GWRS, especially as its white all over with frost this morning.
  • I sowed more Yellow Rattle and wild flower seed this morning - hoping at least 50% will germinate with resulting flowers next year.  We spread more wood chip over the big flower bed, the border and the tree circles on the lawn - I am sure the blackbirds will appreciate foraging and no doubt scattering the chip.
  • WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 158
    Its too wet to do much but I've collected up more leaves and the last of the cosmos and it all goes in the compost, I'm happy to see the bins are steaming in the morning cold air. It's just an excuse to wander the garden with a coffee and enjoy the beautiful sunshine. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,325
    I planted more bulbs in pots, despite a biting easterly wind and OH trimmed the front hedge. I had to bite my tongue as I'd have preferred the grass to be cut!
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,003
    Went to allotment this afternoon and moved 3 self seeded Oak trees that I found on the plot , to the hedge row , have been looking after them careful for the last year , hopefully they will take