Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,820
    edited November 2019
    Agreed, the green wall looks great Allotment Boy.

Sorry to hear about the sewage/flooding issue GWRS, what a nightmare. 

I had a tiny flooding issue issue last week when a mains pipe sprung a leak in the street but it was only my outbuilding and area of hard standing affected. The water flowed away into the street and I was only left with the debris to sweep up so I was fortunate.

Hope your small hog is okay, GD, that was kind of you to look after it.

Today I planted a bareroot rose that arrived yesterday. The far end of the shade border is getting finished one muddy step at a time. Planted some alliums, Purple Sensation, that I moved from elsewhere in the garden. Planted a piece of persicaria where the pond meets the lawn edge. I let the grass grow long and ratty due having daffs growing there and then because of the froglets but want a more attractive solution. Hoping the persicaria will not be bothered by the daffs and then hide the whole mess later in the year whilst providing cover for critters.
  • OH and kind neighbour took 6 x 1 ton bags of green garden waste to the recycling yard this morning - it will be heated, turned and eventually will end up as re-conditioned soil. They also collected a large scoop of wood chip to spread on our flower beds and other growing areas - we try to spread a covering every year or two to help suppress and cut down on weeding, and although the slugs and snails don't like it, seed dropping from plants don't do well either.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,011
    It was actually dry and sunny here for a change so managed to plant 4 out of 5 new bareroot roses - all in pots so I can see what colours I like best. Took much longer than I anticipated though.

We had to drive from Leicester to Grimsby for a funeral on Thursday - absolutely torrential rain all day so were very apprehensive about possible floods. Fortunately the M1/M1800 weren't too bad but the fields looked awful. Commiserations to anybody who's got flooding issues. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,669
    Been as far as Darlington today. All through Lincolnshire fields, back roads and rivers full and overflowing.  After the M180/M18 and onto the M62 it all dried up with little more than wet roads. While away it rained, but nothing like we have had, and then on returning it started again luckily lighter rain than before. The fields around here will need replanting as up to 50% of them are waterlogged. 
    That sounds bad @purpleallim. I believe potatoes will be in short supply soon.

I should have done a bit of gardening, got one more rose to plant, lots more bulbs and now a bareroot shrub has been delivered - a spindleberry. My late mum used to have one near her front garden gate and I had a sudden nostalgic whim to get one too. She would have been 94 next week.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,669
    Started to remove the purple slate/membrane from a good sized bed that we have removed a magnolia from. It's an odd shape as its surrounded by paths and lawn. Have this already in a tub until the beds ready in spring.
    It's where I'm planning to put 2/3 roses,  but still in the planning stage. 
  • cornellycornelly Posts: 844
    Finished digging the veg plot except for one row of leeks, one row of parsnips and broad beans, on a lovely bright sunny morning, glasshouse door and windows open, to give pot plants a bit of fresh air.
  • lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 283
    Fabulous!  A dry day, not only dry but sunny too!  Managed to rake up all the leaves - with some assistance from Himself, who also put the feeders back up.  I also added another 80 or so daffodil bulbs along our front fence to cheer up the neighbours in the spring.  Heard a comment from someone whose brother - a farmer in Lincolnshire - is going to have to plough in ALL of his potatoes.  Tragic, considering the work he will have put in.  I understand all root vegetables are in danger of being more expensive from now on.  Let's hope that we don't get any more rain; not only the farmers, but all those poor souls who have been left with flooded homes, need more of the wet stuff like they need a hole in the head.  Saw one of 'our' hedgehogs at around 11:00 p.m. last night, GRWS - fortunately we are in a cul-de-sac and we all have gardens so they are fairly safe around here.  We have one who looks huge, not sure if he could manage to get through our 'hedgehog holes' at the bottom of the fences, he is so big!  Love to see them although they are few and far between, sadly.
    A dry and sunny day here as well so planted the last rose inside the garden and an euronymus europaea (spindle tree) outside our new fence. I also planted 25 Scilla siberica bulbs under both plants for spring interest but the bulb size of these took me by surprise - much bigger than I was expecting!
    @lydiaann Lucky you with hedgehogs in your garden, we haven't seen any here for years - too many badgers around I think.
  • Lovely weather here too, dry, calm and sunny - no biting wind either - how long it will last is anyone's guess.  We sowed some Yellow Rattle seed in field, wild flower areas with too much grass - so hope the rattle does what it says on the tin and strangles that deep rooted grass.  We also hoes the strawberry bed, do we feed or mulch now or in the Spring? In the afternoon we spread some newly collected wood chip over the big flower bed.  Very satisfied with our day in the garden.