Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,210
    started sorting out g/h , go rid of cucumber , marigold & tomato plants 
    took down shading . Next job take used compost to allotment and give it a clean 🧼 
    Still got 2 chilli 🌶 plants in there 
    Can’t do any more as it is still raining ☔️ 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,980
    I wasn't going to bother @purplerallim, but after reading your post, might have to reconsider. They will need a lot of room though as you say. Do you find the slugs/snails go for them and how did you overwinter them in a border?
  • This morning was damp but not raining, so I took the plunge (not literally), I started to plant my 20+ pots and containers with new bulbs, some primula and a few older Tete a Tete narcissus too. So Autumn has arrived and we need to embrace it.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,666
    Mine haven't been bothered by slugs/snails @Lizzie27 at least where they were in a raised bed, or now in the main garden. I left all the top growth after flowering over winter to protect the crown ( also birds liked to dig around in them during winter) then just cut back the dead in spring when I saw new growth. I think I might have put used compost and manure around them after everything died back too.🙂
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,935
    We have rain, at last.   OH ventured out to pick the latest batch of ripe tomatoes.  The small ones will be roast with cod for dinner tonight and the big 'uns will be cooked down to make sauce ofr soups and pasta dishes over the winter.

I am sewing whilst contemplating what I can sow in the PT for winter cropping or to be ready for an early start next spring.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    We well it stopped raining , so finished off tidying g/h and took the used compost to allotment for spreading as a mulch 
    While at plot , harvested the last 4 round courgettes which are enough
    Pulled some carrots, o/h is going to make a carrot cake , never done one before  
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 4,980
    edited September 2019
    Thanks @purplerallim , that sounds good advice. If I can find enough room (a bit problematic as my borders are stuffed!) I'll follow your example.

In between the showers I just pottered, still got a horrendous cold so not up to much. Sorted out some plastic pots and gave a bin bag away, I've got far too many. It's encouraging to see new plants at the GC selling them in different pale colours, presumably they can now hopefully be recycled. The speed at which the manufacturers have changed the colour leads me to think they could have done it much sooner - I wonder what the cost differential is. 

I'm also contemplating moving some asparagus plants, anybody know when the best time to do this might be?
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 322
    @GWRS Carrot cake! What a great idea :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,935
    I have loads of good carrot cake recipes but am always up for a new one.  Which one is your BH doing @GWRS?
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    oberlix , she’s looking at the BBC good food site for there classic Carrot 🥕 Cake recipe