Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066
    No gardening here.  Rain has been biblical.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Had a good morning, just come in for a break. Sorted the waterbutt connections as I noticed butt 4 in the chain wasn't filling from 3. 

Had a chop down/tidy up as I've decided to revamp the top of the garden. It's dank and unpleasant. Dug up two hydrangeas and a guelder rose that have been malingering since the heat last year, chucked them together to form a new wildlife twig heap. 

Tried to deadhead the buddleas and collected poppy seed. Took some blackthorn cuttings, don't know if it's the right time of year for that. Want a couple for my allotment.
    Wearside, England.
  • Just had a catastrophe in my upstairs office, where I keep all my collected flower seeds as it is so dry and airy up here,  5 of my seed trays just "flew" off the table and ended up on the carpet - the entire contents mixed up in the fabric of the carpet - I could have wept. I am hoping I will be able to find more poppies, foxgloves, oxeye daisies, Jacobs Ladder and Heuchera in the garden but not too sure that I will. Damn!
    On a brighter note, not too much damage from the stormy wind last night, just twigs and pine cones and our neighbours beans came down this time.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Guernsey D , sorry hear about seeds , you could just scatter them and see what comes up ?
    Really windy hear and the rains come , was hoping to do a bit of gardening but don’t think so now 

• Gale force wind and torrential downpours precluded any work outside so pricked out a dozen sage seedlings in the conservatory.
  • Gale force wind here too. Does dashing round with more canes and string and barricading my cucumber behind patio furniture count as gardening?
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    Saving the plants always counts @flowerpotgirl. 😁
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066
    Deadheaded in the rain.  Everything is soggy and if we don't get a bit more sunshine the August lull might continue until November. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    Been in the greenhouse this morning as too wet outside. Picked toms and cucumbers.  Then decided to take out some leaf growth on the toms,  as it's a jungle,  good job I did as found ripe ones hidden by leaves. The Roma toms have just about enough ready for soup making so looks like that will be this weeks task, plus using some more limes for lime curd.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566
    Went around checking for any damage, most things seem to be upright thank goodness. Still pretty breezy though.
    Took advantage of the damp soil to dig out a clump of Shasta daisies, still a bit of a job. Got rid of a couple of hardy geraniums that l've never been very keen on and also attempted to shift some trifolium rubens . It's not supposed to be invasive but it's still a bu**er to get out !
    Moved a penstemon and dug out one that had seen better days. 
    More rain and rumbles of thunder this afternoon.