Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• Logan4Logan4 Posts: 2,590
    Not much to do but deadhead the marigolds and roses, pick a lot of blueberries and water the baskets.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Garden bin just been emptied , nearly full again , trimmed jasmine and bush in front lawn and cut front lawns to pick up bits 
    Still need to trim Bay tree 
    Everything is growing so well in this warm weather and rain 
  • Logan4Logan4 Posts: 2,590
    Picked a lot more blueberries, have to water them tonight.
  • Moved the rubble, pushed the boulders to make the flower bed (son needs to move more for me) and at long last planted the tree and watered it in. Just need to bring the soil level up about 6 inches then can put the plants in there. 
  • A damp day today - hurray no watering necessary.  We spent the morning turning out part of the little conservatory/greenhouse - brushing cobwebs away, hosing down, preparing for my autumn seed sowing.  Also gave the Bourgainvillea yet another prune. 
  • @Logan4 are your Blueberries the same as our Wimberries here in Wales? it's the same harvesting time.

Spent an hour or so deadheading,The Coreopsis are fiddly,it took ages.
    Tried to kill off a Hosta with some deadly root killer,then covered it with rocks so no one gets poisoned.
    Time for a cuppa and toasted fruit loaf.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,290
    Oo - haven’t had a winberry pie for years (probably 20 years!) - a classic in Wales. They are different to blueberries - more tart and jammy if I remember. I found this:

http://www.merchantandmakers.com/wimberry-pie-mucky-mouth-pie/
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328
    @Valley Gardener - Blueberries are in the same family as winberries/wimberries/whinberries (or bilberries, as I was taught to call them), but blueberries grow on much bigger bushes, and the fruit is generally also bigger, with a less intense flavour than the wild bilberry/winberry.  The blueberries sold in the supermarket are huge compared with wild bilberries.
    Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • That's interesting@AuntyRach and @Liriodendron.
    I was interested because I don't want to pick them and make a pie if they are exactly the same as Blueberries,which I'm not keen on,as they seem dry.Maybe have to add sugar for some syrup. There are loads growing around here so could be a pleasant afternoon on the hillside.😊

The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Yesterday afternoon cut back lawn , pruned Apple tree and did some repairs to stream bank , no storms hear 
    Going into Lincoln today , very wind at moment but nice and sunny 😎