Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,078
    Have been feeding the toms/cucumbers today.
    Then weeded the empty veg bed, not many weeds, and transplanted winter leeks and onions. We will see if this time I have better  luck. Pinned down some strawberry runners into pots as this years good crop came from last years runners. Do you think last years runners should be given another year or pulled and replaced?🤔
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,770
    Purplerallim , personally I would replace them 
    O/H was in Lincoln yesterday and Wilkos are selling off seeds , the ones she bought where 10p & 30p all with a good use by date 
    Cut Hawthorn hedges yesterday  
    Hoping to get to allotment this afternoon 

You are probably right @GWRS as have never had good crops in the second year with strawberries. Never grown from seed though, usually bare root.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,356
    Strawbs grown from bareroot here too @purplerallim - second year and they were good but not an exceptionally big crop.  I have never tried growing from seed either.
    We did our usual early morning watering although we do the most in the evening and then started weeding the front garden, after 30 minutes we decided to go to the beach - it was the best decision we have made today. The garden can wait (apart from harvesting and watering) but the beach is at it's best now so we are making the most of it.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 431
    Spent nearly 2 hours giving my acid-lovers in the front and rear gardens a good acid-feed.  This one states it will last for 4 months, thank goodness.  It's already 30ºC. (Texas) at 10am, I'm totally tired out and my clothes are thoroughly dampened.   
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874
    Have been busy today. Had to dig up a large carex to plant a rose so I divided the carex and potted up 7 of them.  Doubt it's the right time of year but it was that or the bin.  Planted a new clematis Minuet, it likes shade to I'm hoping it will grown up through a rhodo and camelia as that bit of the garden looks a bit boring in summer.  I also bought a Princess Diana clem at the same time but have no idea where to put it.  Did a fair bit of weeding and cut back a climber (name escapes me at the moment).  Hubby has offered to clear up the mess I've managed to create and mow the lawns for me.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,912
    Potted on 58 wallflowers, 2 in each container.
    Going to water the blueberries.
    My greenhouse is in the shade till about 11ish so I water in the morning. I have found changing from evening to morning watering in a humid greenhouse this year has helped enormously with mould problems on tomatoes and cucumbers, so do you water inside or just the outside garden @Guernsey Donkey2
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,920
    Work today so just did a bit of pottering tonight. My rocket and parsley that I sowed in the old compost the peas were in are ready to start picking - pleased with my recycling idea there! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,356
    Both @purplerallim - indoors and outside watering in the evening.  My theory is that watering the greenhouse in the morning means that the water evaporates too quickly in the heat.  However I am sure my dear Dad and Grandfather who both grew tomatoes commercially would have said exactly as you have. I also spray the toms and cucs in the greenhouse at lunch time too.