Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    Gosh if I put that much moisture in my greenhouse everything would rot! Mine seems to be humid without trying @Guernsey Donkey2 that's why I switched ( after seeing posts suggesting to here) and it does seem to be working. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,566
    Potted up around 45 foxgloves - still have more to do over the next few weeks. Plan to pot them on one more time before they go. Fed and watered clematis, dahlias, baskets, beans and tomatoes and did a bit of general deadheading. 
    Tided through the plants in the greenhouse and fed and watered them. Looked out of the window just in time to see a large begonia "Rosebud" falling from the top shelf as it was so top heavy. The pot smashed and l feared the worst, but amazingly the plant survived (and no damage to anything else, luckily). 
    Repotted in to a larger pot and used a string and stick ensemble to try and keep it together. 
    Tided up long straggly bits of clematis Montana that l could reach and also cut back pyracantha while trying not to lose the young berries. 
    Very warm and muggy this afternoon, think that's enough for today. 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066
    No gardening today, overdid it yesterday. 
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • You have been industrious @AnniD, don't end up feeling like @Yviestevie - hope you soon feel refreshed and ready to go again.
    Our GH faces south and gets a temperature up to 30 + even with all doors, windows and lights open in the middle of the day, so nothing much growing in there at the mo @purplerallim - just a Bougainvillea, toms, cucs and some succulents.
    I pruned, watered, harvested and entertained morning coffee and then lunch for family outside today.  Too hot now for me to be outside. Will got out to water and tweak later on.
    @Guernsey Donkey2 I'm sure the BBC forecast underestimates the temperatures, according to the forecast this morning it's supposed to be around 23 degrees here at 5pm, according to my thermometer it's 26.5.
    It's so easy to overdo it, the trouble is l go out with an idea of what needs to be done and get sidetracked! 
    Hope you feel better soon @Yviestevie.
  • purplerallimpurplerallim Posts: 5,287
    I know about being sidetracked @AnniD , went to do greenhouse and ended up cutting back the magnolia which kept getting me as it had grown across the path. Full wheelie bin now. Then did greenhouse and this afternoon hubby did both lawns, while I puzzled over the wisteria. It's a white one planted 18 months ago and after seeing GW on pruning had a look. It did not flower this year ( did last year) and I thought I hadn't been severe enough, but on looking it has no side shoot longer than 5 leaves so nothing long enough to prune?🤔🤔🤔definitely confused.
    Supervised OH digging out a half dead lavender from one of the front beds, then replaced it with 2 salvias "Hot Lips" (at the back where it's slightly hidden !), and "Midnight" nearer to the front. Also moved another one "San Antonio" as it was falling all over the path.
    Soil was bone dry,  and when l started sorting out the lavender l found 2 salvias hidden underneath !
    I think they are "Butterfly Blue" or the pink version.  They looked pretty sick, but l gave them a good soak, cut off the dead bits and potted them up. They have perked up already. 
    Chopped up the lavender for the green waste bin, also deadheaded the buddleia a bit lower than l would normally do, in view of the forecast. Planted begonia and a fuschia "Shrimp Cocktail" given to me by neighbour. 
    Went around tying things in and moving pots into slightly more sheltered spots where l can.
    Tomorrow's plan is to wash all the pots, put them away and do anything else that can be moved etc. before the wind and rain comes in.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    A good day at allotment , lots of pruning , huge pile to burn
    Garden at home watered , killed 3 Lilly Beatles & 4 of it’s lava 
    As ever watered g/h and pots 
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 556
    I cut back and thinned out my Nandina domestica in my side garden.  There are 10 of them and all were in serious need of topping/pruning.  Tried to avoid cutting off as many berry clusters as possible so I won't lose that color this fall.  Watered all my pots and hanging baskets around the house as well. 
    My low-carb recipe site: https://buttoni.wordpress.com/
  • YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066
    Haven't done much, just a bit of deadheading and weeding.  Though I did water the garden tonight (forgot to do it yesterday).
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands