Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,070
    Wasn't good! It was so bad it nearly took the boots off me. It's such a pity as it's a nice show, but three years on the trot is taking the micky.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 427
    edited 31 July
    Deep water soaked my 3 Callicarpa americana that are just starting to berry.  They are not liking the nonstop 38ºC heat of late and were a little worse the wear.  Drove to a nursery to purchase 2 red bougainvilla (only place in town with the red ones) to hang on our black garden lamp post. I think they will look nice there over time.  Must go remove the tags though.  ;)  Think I'll shorten the hanger wire a bit as well.

My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,909
    edited 1 August
    Oo - I like the Bougainvillea in baskets @Peggy in Texas. Will they trail down? 
    I have my first ever one this year - only small and it had just finished flowering when I was given it last month. As the weather has been warm, it is by my back door at present. I hope it will put on a bit more growth now (and even repeat flower?) and it will come inside once temps drop in Autumn. Any tips gratefully received! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 427
    edited 1 August
    Well, they "sort of" trail, AR.  Here is one of my "California Gold" taken last year (I have 4 of these on my front veranda) and this is how they tend to grow.  This is their 3rd year.  I over winter them in a semi-indoor atrium (open ceiling to outdoors) with a blanket on top if is predicted to go below 5ºC:
    I usually snip off a bit of each branch when I set them back outside in late March after frost threats.  They devote usually 2 months (or more) to setting new branches and leaves.  Then what you see begins slowly in June.  This one bracts start out true gold, then they go to nearly orange, then peach and are a true soft pionk by the time they are mature and finally drop off.  This year they are blooming a bit less.  I think I snipped off less than I should have in March.  ;)   I have read they really respond to pruning in winter dormancy, when they drop many leaves. 
    My low-carb recipe site:www.buttoni.wordpress.com
  • lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 271
    Just got in from (a) rescuing my containers from all this rain and wind we've had over the past couple of days (though here in Newark we are not nearly as badly affected as the NW) and (b) weeding the large border.  Rest will have to wait until tomorrow.  Managed to garner allium, delphinium and aquilegia seeds...hopefully I'll get hollyhock seeds in a couple of weeks: my hollyhocks are a beautiful deep burgundy/eggplant colour with 8-10 cm blooms and no rust !! (touch wood it stays that way).  The rain seems to have soaked the lupin seed pods too much but there will be more blooms so I can collect those later too.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,759
    Cut my Hawthorn hedges this afternoon , recovering with a beer 🍺 in the sun before dinner 
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,909
    They look really cheerful @Peggy in Texas - thanks for the info. 
    Not done anything today as a working day. I might water my pots in a bit as no rain due. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,070
    We have had quite a bit of heavy rain. Managed to dead head both rose and sweet peas, before rain sent me in the green house to potter. 
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,902
    All that I'm doing at the moment is pick fruit. Might pot on some of my wallflowers this afternoon.
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Sorting the the new shed and the greenhouse and throwing what is past useable. Umbrella is up for some shade as it's sunny here with a little cloud and no breeze. Surprising what you find when it's been a long time since you've been able get the far corners of the shed. We took the old shed down to make way for the green house and bought a new but smaller shed.