Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,891
    Didn't get in the garden today as at the Bingley show with hubby.
    In the produce tent found this stand.looking closer saw this beautiful specimen deep red all round, but with no one at the stand couldn't ask about it . Any ideas what it might be called?

• FlinsterFlinster Posts: 764
    Busy day today! Finally finished filling a new raised veg bed and planted out the long suffering courgettes,  some neglected chillies and a cucumber. Don’t think I will get much off the cucumber as it should have been planted out weeks ago, but hey ho! Sowed some late climbing beans, lettuce, basil, coriander, beetroot, spinach and mizuna. Planted out the marjoram I grew from seed. Watered well and fed all the tomatoes and chillies. Moved some of the toms so they get better sun and removed lower/large leaves. Rescued a pumpkin stem which was heading down the side of my neighbours house! Had a good clear up as everywhere had got so untidy- made a pile for the tip. Deadheaded scabious and topped up the pond from the water butt.... shattered! Now for a shower and a big g&t! 😊
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,813
    Lots of weeding, deadheading and cutting back.  Lawns mowed and edged and a few pots moved about.  Have lots of foxglove seedlings to pot on but they will have to wait for another day.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,601
    Purplerallim , never heard of Bingley show , so goggled it looks good Been to Bletchley Park today , great day out
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,891
    It's a council run one in town park.It is getting smaller, but it is a central point in  the year for hubby's hobby.
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 134
    I was busy clearing away some old, blackened comfrey stems and leaves when I suddenly heard a hissing type sound. At first I thought there was a snake or something just out of sight behind a short wall, but then a cloud of bees appeared and started flying menacingly around me. They were orange coloured bees more like bumblebees in appearance than honeybees. They flew around for a few minutes then started to disappear one by one. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,632
    That must have been a bit worrying @Hippophae
    Fed and watered all the plants in the greenhouse, plus all the clematis and roses. Did some deadheading, planted out white penstemon. 
    Potted on 3 agastache, 1 lychnis and 1 penstemon, and checked over pink cuttings (I think some have taken). 
    Did some winnowing of cerinthe, got a few seeds.
    Picked as many sweet peas as l could find.
    (@GWRS ,loved my visit to Bletchley Park, spent hours there. Fascinating place).
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 134
    It was a bit concerning at first AnniD, but I quickly realised that they weren’t actually trying to attack or sting me. So I could observe their behaviour without fearing being stung. I think they might have been carder bees. Not sure whether they even have stings? 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,632
    Good question @Hippophae , info here, but it doesn't mention stings !
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,767
    Taken a risk and scarified lawn (well half of it - the back part is kept longer). I know it’s usually a Spring job, but my Brother-in-law did his last month and it looks fab. 
    25 wheelbarrows full of grass and scarify mow! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.