Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,003
    Lots of weeding, deadheading and cutting back.  Lawns mowed and edged and a few pots moved about.  Have lots of foxglove seedlings to pot on but they will have to wait for another day.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,023
    Purplerallim , never heard of Bingley show , so goggled it looks good Been to Bletchley Park today , great day out
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,396
    It's a council run one in town park.It is getting smaller, but it is a central point in  the year for hubby's hobby.
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 139
    I was busy clearing away some old, blackened comfrey stems and leaves when I suddenly heard a hissing type sound. At first I thought there was a snake or something just out of sight behind a short wall, but then a cloud of bees appeared and started flying menacingly around me. They were orange coloured bees more like bumblebees in appearance than honeybees. They flew around for a few minutes then started to disappear one by one. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,470
    That must have been a bit worrying @Hippophae
    Fed and watered all the plants in the greenhouse, plus all the clematis and roses. Did some deadheading, planted out white penstemon. 
    Potted on 3 agastache, 1 lychnis and 1 penstemon, and checked over pink cuttings (I think some have taken). 
    Did some winnowing of cerinthe, got a few seeds.
    Picked as many sweet peas as l could find.
    (@GWRS ,loved my visit to Bletchley Park, spent hours there. Fascinating place).
  • HippophaeHippophae Posts: 139
    It was a bit concerning at first AnniD, but I quickly realised that they weren’t actually trying to attack or sting me. So I could observe their behaviour without fearing being stung. I think they might have been carder bees. Not sure whether they even have stings? 
    Good question @Hippophae , info here, but it doesn't mention stings !
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,269
    Taken a risk and scarified lawn (well half of it - the back part is kept longer). I know it’s usually a Spring job, but my Brother-in-law did his last month and it looks fab. 
    25 wheelbarrows full of grass and scarify mow! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    AnniD said:
    Good question @Hippophae , info here, but it doesn't mention stings !
    Or even here 🙄
    https://www.bumblebeeconservation.org/ginger-yellow-bumblebees/common-carder-bee/
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,269
    Not much this week as too hot. Fascinated by my sweet corn plants - I love how the male flower tassel forms and the pollen falls on the female silk - surely another bit of magic from nature! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.