Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 1,870
    Fruit cage @GWRS it's the only way
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,590
    Fruit cage @GWRS it's the only way
    I’m sure you are right , I have 4 blueberry bushes at allotment that I put in a new fruit cage last Autumn , tried netting them but it didn’t work 
    Tried netting the strawberries with mixed success,  so when we planted the new cherry, red and black currents we put them in the end bed with a trellis behind. Made a frame with canes and tied netting to it all to make the cage. It has had lettuce below it and the cherries are about ripe with no bird losses. 
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,773
    Picked the first pink and white currants

Wow what a crop @Logan4 how many plants of each do you have. My red and black currants were only planted this year so don't expect anything.
    Well I've now had it.
    The dreaded job of weeding between the paving slabs is done, just about, as there is nearly a 100 it's a job and a half. Dead headed the roses and sweet peas, watered everything, it takes 10 watering cans, just the back garden, and fed the birds.
    Just noticed my robin is standing on one leg appears to have a sore foot, wonder if hes been fighting again, he's still managing to feed his babies though.
  • Guernsey Donkey2Guernsey Donkey2 Posts: 6,153
    Agree, that is a good crop @Logan they do look yummy!
    Your poor Robin @purplerallim I do hope he recovers soon. It is good to be able to mentally tick off a job that needs to be done but somehow gets pushed to the bottom of the list.
    We had a delivery of  fresh bamboo yesterday, which we have striped ready to use next year for the beans, peas and supports.  Nothing like recycling for a sense of satisfaction.
    I am still busy collecting seed from the flowers, before the rain comes. What a great feeling of satisfaction.
  • Logan4Logan4 West MidlandsPosts: 1,773
    Wow what a crop @Logan4 how many plants of each do you have. My red and black currants were only planted this year so don't expect anything.
    Thank you purplerallim I have 4 white currant bushes and they do really well when established. last year i had 43lb from 4 bushes.l have  6 blackcurrant bushes don't do so well but enough for what i want had 12lb.
    Have 6 pink currants had 6lb last year, haven't got them all in as yet.
    Red currants got 8 plants had 60lb last year haven't got them all in, got different varieties that ripen at different times.
    Red and  white  currants will take a couple of years to get going, blackcurrants should fruit next year I think.
    Thank you @Guernsey Donkey2

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,590
    Logan 4 , just being nosey , that’s a lot of currants ,  is it for wine 🍷 or jam or both 
    My o/h makes mixed currant jam 

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,358
    I can't imagine that many currants! Makes my one blackcurrant and one blueberry feel very inadequate!  I waited till it cooled down a bit this afternoon, then pruned the wisteria which is going beserk and cut down an oriental poppy. Watered the delphiniums which have been much better since being moved and also some phlox which is in bloom. Had to stop because IT IS RAINING!!!!!