Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,773
    Cassie Stewart  , hope your Rowan tree grows , I was lucky enough to grow 4 from seed , I have planted them in the Hedges rows at allotment with those plastic guards around them to stop rabbits / deer eating them . Have some willow to plant and Oak trees this Autumn to plant  
  • GWRS said:
    Cassie Stewart  , hope your Rowan tree grows , I was lucky enough to grow 4 from seed , I have planted them in the Hedges rows at allotment with those plastic guards around them to stop rabbits / deer eating them . Have some willow to plant and Oak trees this Autumn to plant  
    Thanks! I'd of loved to grow one from seed but I'm far too impatient! Its bad enough I'm going to have to wait till next year to grow a lot of the plants I want from seed! 
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 2,081
    Its amazing how much happens in a garden in a week. I think if I had been here it wouldn't have been so noticable. 
    The toms have shot up with numerous trusses and three have ripened. (Yes I am very behind this year) The french beans are at last growing, and the carrots and potatoes are about ready to pull.
    The bedding which had room between plants to grow is now a mass of colour. There is quite alot of dead heading to do  and the delphiniums have gone over, so may do a Monty chop and see if they will reflower like last year.
    Then there are the weeds......🙄
  • NanabooNanaboo Posts: 1,057
    Not done much gardening as such. I have been helping my son lay a slab for my Greenhouse. Someone on here advised to dig out the old one which was here when we moved in any lay a complete new one. Last weekend we decided to do just that but after digging down a foot we found everything bar the kitchen sink, lots of metal. We have had to lay three strips a 60 x 60 cm slabs and now we just need to lay two strips of cement 11 ft long, then the greenhouse can go up. To say the least it's been a nightmare and something I wouldn't want to do again. For all it's neglect this week the garden's not looking that bad although the weeds are starting to have a field day and the grass needs a cut.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,770
    Just seen your o/h's winnings GWRS, good haul there👍 Got a bit behind on the thread.

That's cool @NewBoy2, I was just thinking this week I've never seen a leaf cutting bee actually cutting or a plugged hole but there are plenty of cuttings-out on the roses.

Potted on a couple of things that were lying about and potted up a geranium phaeum seedling. I can probably find room for one more, jolly things.

Decided on the rest of the autumn planting bulbs I want, I've already spent my daffodil budget but want some other things too, trying some new alliums and needed bits and bobs.

Moved a fancy fern to the front of the border to prevent it getting swamped. Realised today it isn't my fancy fern, that's hidden under a plant, this was a new chunk off a massive fern that doesn't need my help with anything.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,922
    Just tackled an overgrown Japanese Rose. Also planted out some Cosmos into a gap under some Aliums. I had spread an annual flower mix there, but it doesn’t seem to have come to anything. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 3,601
    Far too hot to do anything but water the veg beds (we've been away for 5 days). Praying it will rain soon!
  • batwood14batwood14 Posts: 108
    Here's my crop of Morello Cherry's which I just picked this evening. This is from a tree that I rescued two years ago. It needed a severe prune last year but that was fine as I needed the roots to regenerate. It's done fantastic this year. I still have more to pick.
  • bullfinchbullfinch Posts: 204
    Wow those cherries look lovely! I'm happy because some of the cuttings I took from a hardy salvia have rooted and I've been able to pot them on.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 6,773
    Batwood , very impressed with cherries 🍒 but how do you stop the birds eating them?