Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,284
    Yesterday weeding( bindweed 😠) cut back next doors bramble, the limb had come over and was 6 feet long! The watering seems to be taking longer and longer. Today dead headed bedding and roses. Picked some strawberries.  Tied up the sweetpeas and picked some for inside. Quite windy here today which is keeping the temperature pleasant .
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,148
    Potted on osteospermum and salvias into proper posher pots to sit on the patio for the summer.
    Cut back a pink that had gone mad, and dug out geum and perennial viola "Freckles" that has never been very happy.  Replaced them with a Gaura, a monarda, a campanula and a dahlia "Braveheart",  which doesn't look all that, so l have basically plonked it in a hole and left it to decide it's fate.
    Told OH that next year it's going to be one hanging basket and no pots, that's it, and if he hears me saying anything different ,he reminds me of that fact. He did this 🙄.
    Still have the irises to sort out, but feeling shattered, so tea, a currant bun and a bit of Wimbledon watching instead 😁.
  • Planted out a couple more Ricnis (Castor Oil) plants - just a few inches tall at present, but hoping they will grow to their normal 3 - 4 foot height by the end of the summer - having read in GW to extend the summer colour in the garden with Lucifer, Cannas, Cosmos and other hot coloured plants.
    Walked part of the field path but found it blocked by tall flowering plants and grasses that had bent over in the wind - mower, shears and secateurs in there tomorrow.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Allotment this morning all the usual tasks re potted a Salvia Electric blue I think, also a couple of stray's that had self seeded in a large pot Agastache Liquorice Blue I think and a Delphinium no idea what, also planted out very late a courgette "Aspria F1" into a large pot the wife likes them I'm not so keen.

The rest of the time we just sat in the sun watching the insects on the flowers.

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,825
    Cut the grass, fed the tomatoes and a few other things in pots, pulled out some brambles coming under the fence from next door, planted out a tray of Rudbeckia "Cherry Brandy" (better late than never - hopefully they'll flower into the Autumn), and cut back some dead bits out of the honeysuckle (trying to leave the live bits that still have flowers on them - I'll give the whole lot a haircut later in the summer).
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Just some deadheading, putted up two new plants and put another row of beetroot in. To tired to do much else.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,229
    Just got home so have only picked some strawberries and gooseberries. My hanging basket has died on me in the heat over the weekend whilst I was away, apart from one geranium. Deadheading and watering I think after dinner.
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,094
    Done loads today tidying up garden, digging of veg beds got a few potatoes from that  sawing wood for re-do of raised bed - just planning what colour to paint the wood cuprinol paint have so many different colours
    Hampshire Gardener
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,489
    @Hazel-1 - Chiltern Seeds sell Cerastium seeds.   :)

Fruit picking and weeding seems to take all my gardening time at the moment... more strawberry jam to make tomorrow, I think.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,094
    What no one did any gardening?
    I went to the allotment did lots of digging, cleared a bit of an area also fed birds
    Hampshire Gardener