Forum home The potting shed

Anyone done any gardening today? Part 5

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,839
    edited June 2019
    Just deadheaded a few bits and added those, plus some torn-up cardboard, to one of the compost ‘bins’. The other compost bin is ready and I have used about half, but as it is a barrel type I need to empty this now and start a new production. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,801
    Deadheaded the garden (two trugs full today).  Had the start of a migraine, lots of flashing zigzags so have come in to cool down and take a tablet.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • TheveggardenerTheveggardener Posts: 1,057
    Tied in the tomato's and took off more side shoots also needed to tie the pea's as they don't seem to want to attach to supports. Put cains in to support sweet corn pulled the radish that have gone to seed did some deadheading. Moved 2 bags of cement and 6 of sand round to where it will be needed. Got soak by the kids over the back playing in the pool, kid will do what kids will do. Have given up for now to muggy will do the watering later.
  • Hampshire_HogHampshire_Hog Hampshire Coast 100m from the seaPosts: 1,089
    Allotment as usual open up tunnel watered, harvested carrots, potatoes, and beans for dinner tonight. Sowed parsley, coriander, basil and dill, found space and planted out a few more french marigold just one tray left  :) cut more sweet peas for home.
    Got to hot for wife so we came home now sat on the terrace with iced coffee watching the people getting burnt on the beach they never learn going to be some very sore body's tomorrow 🥵🥵🥵

"You don't stop gardening because you get old, you get old because you stop gardening." - The Hampshire Hog
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,148
    Deadheaded poppies, scabious, salvias etc. Much cooler than yesterday but still quite breezy. Cut back the long whippy shoots of clematis Montana, well the ones l could reach anyway. Cut off tendrils from sweet peas to try and stop them strangling the flowers.
    Watered stuff that needed it, particularly plants in the greenhouse. Even though l kept an eye on them yesterday, they seem to have dried out quite a bit.
    Had 4 potfuls of irises from MIL's garden to sort out. Heaven knows how long they'd been there, but l also acquired 2 different types of well rooted cotoneaster as a bonus. Some of the rhizomes had rotted, but l managed to get quite a few plants from them, albeit some very small ones. Trimmed the leaves and then sat them in a big tray in the greenhouse to have a proper dry.
    Still have a fair bit to do, but now the weather is cooler, tomorrow is another day (and l want to watch Kylie at Glastonbury 😁)
  • Some pruning of My Mum rose on back patio, it has done wonderfully well for a first year of flowering - a cutting from the original plant.  At least a dozen full size flowers this year. I have two or three more rooted rose cuttings to pot up in the Autumn when the weather is cooler. Picked some courgettes for our daughter and sold a few more roadside plants too. Too hot again this afternoon so a quick game of scrabble and enjoyed watching the birds feeding and bathing.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,526
    Hello , morning at allotment , Picked a tub of raspberries for o/h to make jam , Picked more strawberries 🍓 , first courgettes but round ones and broccoli 🥦 
    Was gong to play green bowls this afternoon but it took me longer at allotment than I thought  , so did some potting up of plants in g/h , lettuce 🥬, basil , parsley and repotted 3 house plant , still got some geraniums to pot on 
    Went back to allotment early evening and watered & o/h dug up garlic and left it to dry on bed 
    Having a beer before dinner , Happy gardening 
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,236
    Deadheaded my sister's roses as she's not very well at the moment.
  • HouseFinchHouseFinch British Columbia, Canada (Zone 5)Posts: 325
    Spent an hour and a half digging one and a half pails of bindweed out of the lawn and edging of our blueberry patch. Seriously considering removing the grass and soil and replanting micro-clover along it instead.
  • Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,094
    Lots of painting making the most of the heat and sun - a bench for allotment and a bit of shed, been busy watering waterbutts being used
    Hampshire Gardener