Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,733
    GWRS said:

Hostafan , do you have to pay for Amazon prime ?
    Not if you cancel it within 30 days, and they certainly don't make THAT process easy.
    Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,147
    It’s an easy process to cancel if you’ve accidentally clicked on it and find yourself having paid.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 25,733
    it's easy enough , but you have to go through a fair few " are you really sure " steps before they take the hint.
    Devon.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,254
    Amazon do everything they can to bamboozle you into taking Prime at every step of the process.  Even when I have chosen the option that I don't want Prime, it will be the default option on the next screen.  It shouldn't be acceptable for people to effectively have to opt-out every time they place an order.  There needs to be a "Stick Prime where the sun don't shine" option in the profile settings.
  • B3B3 Posts: 13,734
    Prime rump?
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 62,301
    I had a trial Prime membership a couple of years ago
    but organised myself to cancel before they took any money. Since then they keep prompting me to rejoin and I keep choosing not to, nevertheless most of my orders arrive much earlier than their predicted date and in Prime packaging 👍 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,123
    GWRS said:
    Wild Edges , hope tomorrow is a better day for you 😉
    That's all any of us can hope for :) I had a better sleep last night at least.

I'm sure the Prime membership thing needs investigating. This time they got me with a 'no thanks I don't want free one day delivery today' button that signs you up to Prime without even asking if you agree to the T&Cs etc. Last time they signed me up automatically when I downloaded the app on my phone and I didn't even find out until they'd taken a membership fee the next month. I complained and they refunded it very quickly so I suspect they know they'll get in trouble for doing it. The stupid thing is I have access to a Prime account through work anyway.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,147
    If you use the Prime for what it’s intènded it can be very good for some people, free postage on items, all the free movies and books,  but you would need to use a lot to make up the 7.99 or whatever it is now.
    if it’s of interest to you, it will pay.
    Personally I don’t like many modern films, the books I read are old classics which are mostly free or 99p anyway.  
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,123
    It's actually not that bad since you can use it to deliver to quite a few addresses and view/download on multiple devices. Share the account between your whole family and it's a pretty reasonable rate. The only thing is everyone then knows what you order so it makes ordering surprise presents harder.

It's useful for smaller value items that Amazon list as 'free postage on orders over £20' or similar but I've found that Amazon isn't always the cheapest option now if you're happy to wait a few days for postage. I still prefer the postman to bring my parcels rather than a courier rushing out especially to deliver a tiny object in a huge box. Amazon has its uses but they still rely on people being too lazy to shop around or wait for the post.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,254
    Prime is of absolutely no interest to me.  I don't order very often,  but when I do it's generally over £20 anyway so qualifies for free delivery.  I don't watch films or other televisual offering from Prime.  I don't see why I should have to double check at every step of the ordering process to ensure that I don't end up paying for something I don't want, don't need and never requested in the first place.