Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,254
    I guess they got some high powered lawyers to look at the wording of the law and come up with a solution which although it drives a coach and horses through the spirit of the law, doesn't break the letter of the law.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,559
    Oh yes, l am sure of that @KT53 .You can just imagine them making sure that their backs are covered and to hell with the wildlife  >:)
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,123
    The law is irritating as it places a lot of protection around nesting birds but completely ignores the complex ecology of a mature hedgerow. I can see why developers do it though and it's not just about profit. I'd certainly like to see more pressure put on developers to provide an actually net gain in ecology on any site rather than just some nest boxes and the odd tree that will die as soon as the developers have left with their money.
    Put as much pressure on developers as you like and they will say yes, yes, yes to get permissions through and then totally ignore the 'extras' they have agreed to once they have the houses built.
    Unless they are forced to build all the infrastructure projects in phases before building phases are approved they don't give a ****.  There was a massive housing development near us which was supposed to have GP surgery, community centre, shops etc as part of the development.  No questions were asked by the local council until the houses were completed at which point the developer said they couldn't afford to build the other stuff.
    What can be done at that point?
    I suspect you will know where l mean @KT53 , if l mention the old civil service club site and the plans for the development there. If ever there was a more unsuitable location for stuffing in a load of houses,  not too mention the fact that there are now more houses going to be built than were on the original plans. Also when they started clearing the site at the big roundabout l naively assumed they were going to start work there, but no. It's just going to sit like that for the time being.
    Further to my post yesterday regarding developers netting the sites to stop birds nesting, there have been some developments (if you'll pardon the pun)
    https://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/17522590.developer-forced-to-ditch-hedgerow-nets/?fbclid=IwAR3GYjhhvEaQ4M9IlmVC4dTIwpH3y5iTPgHhS61D

Other local developers by me have also removed them.

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    That's good news AnniD
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,070
    It is good news but so telling how they've tried to turn it into positive PR after being found out.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 2,392
    I've signed the petition. What a horrible thing to do.
    I know exactly where you mean AnniD.  Our local councils all seem to be as useless as each other.  The wierd council boundaries don't help.  Tewkesbury and Stroud seem to approve any development which will affect Gloucester but put very stringent controls on anything actually local to them.  Funny that!