Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,632
    I had the opposite problem with low tack masking tape.  I was painting the banisters and masking the wooden stairs, but the paint crept underneath...
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487
    That's just as bad.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    Yes...  though the paint on the stairs (this is in our cottage, so they're not "posh") was pretty firmly attached, and I was able to carefully scrape off the extra paint without damaging the stairs.  Irritating though.  It would have been better just to paint the banisters very carefully, with a small brush and no masking tape.
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    @wild edges  said  I'm sure they would have resorted to obscure units if they could have got away with it. Yogurt by the gill or rice by the bushell. 

Obscure units? They are not obscure just historic  my Allotment is still measured in Rods or Poles and I will defend to the death my right to keep it that way ;) 

Seriously though we often notice that the larger pack size is often not the bargain it appears to be, and some offers are not as good as they seem you do have to look carefully, but with a GD with a severe peanut allergy we have become used to scrutinising everything we buy in great detail, from all aspects.
    I seem to remember Terry Walton saying his allotment was measured in Perch. At the time I thought he was winding us up.

Re pack size, I'm convinced now that supermarkets are taking advantage of the trend to reduce plastic waste by inceasing the price of items with less packaging. They know some people will pay a bit extra to be green.
    Rod, perch and pole are all interchangeable terms, I think, for a measure equal to 5.5 yards or 16.5 feet.  4 rods make a chain and 10 chains make a furlong.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    That's right, Obelixx.  My grandmother could still recite all the lengths, volumes and weights she learnt as a child, right into her 90s.  "8 furlongs one mile", I think.
    Yes Liri.  I used to run 2 and 4 furlong hurdles race for my house at school.

Used to have great fun with my Belgian scientists trying to explain the human and historic scales of inches, feet, yards etc and weights too.   They were boggled till I told them Napoleon introduced the metric system cos the French can't do sums and is it any wonder when they still count 70 as 60 10 and 80 as four score and 92 as four score twelve.   Funnily enough, Maths are a Belgian strong point but they count 70 and 90.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,326
    I have posted this on the Hedgehog thread, but it makes me beyond curmudgeonly, so l am posting here as well. You may have seen this story about developers netting trees and hedgerows.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-4762774 
    The lady who runs my local hedgehog rescue drew my attention to this petition 
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/244233
    Any signatures very much appreciated  :)
    Done.  Thanks for flagging this up.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,326
    No problem @Obelixx, put simply, it makes me furious. Thanks for your time.