Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,976
    Groan !  B)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,910
    Rasta doggy never barked, just the odd, rare and quiet woof - until we got Bonzo and now she tells him everything.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,895
    we had an ex 'working' lurcher (i.e. a poacher's dog) who almost never barked while he was awake (he woofed a lot in his sleep). I think I heard him bark on purpose maybe 3 times. But the other dog we had at the same time would bark at any visitor and not just once, he'd keep at it. It's actually quite hard to stop a dog barking. Shouting at them tends to make them bark more. The people with the habitual barker are probably not deaf to it, just unable to prevent it
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
  • B3B3 Posts: 14,762
    The window cleaner said that he always knew when we were in because the dog would bark. Not a peep out of her if we were out.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,434
    Sounds like a weekend well spent, in the current circs WE.  ;)
    I need two of me to get on top of the jobs that need doing at the moment :|

Are there punctuation rules for smiley face use by the way? Does a smiley replace punctuation at the end of a sentence or should it be inside punctuation marks? It always seems odd to have it outside the punctuation and even odder to have a smiley and then a full stop :/ .
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,435
    AnniD said:
    Amazing how people are deaf when it comes to their dogs barking. We have one near us who sits on top of the sofa in the window all day and barks at everything. Passers by, bin men, pigeons, everything. The owners are there all day long, people come to the door, the dog barks, they hold a conversation while it goes ballistic. Daughter takes it out for a walk, yes, it barks the whole way. Funny thing is, they have another of the same breed, possibly a brother or sister,  and that never makes a sound.
    Just because the dog is barking all the time doesn't automatically mean the owners don't care.  My sister-in-law's dog has started barking every time he goes out into the garden and they don't know why.  He's only started recently and it drives them nuts too.  Nothing has changed either in the garden or the surrounding area to cause the change of behaviour.
    edited February 2019
    Maybe someone has got one of those ultra-sonic cat/rodent deterant thingies?
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,976
    It could well be, but it's funny how the other one doesn't make a sound. They both sit in the window, and while the one goes mad, the other one just watches what's occuring. Like humans, all different personalities! 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,509
    Walked around the garden, don’t know what to do first,so  done nothing, now annoyed with myself.   Why does every job rely on something else to be done first? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Walked around the garden, don’t know what to do first,so  done nothing, now annoyed with myself.   Why does every job rely on something else to be done first? 
    I hate those vicious circle job lists. Mine always seem pivot on the thing that takes the longest or is impossible for some reason, usually the weather. Sometimes though I just have to do something even if it's just some minor potching and eventually I'll have achieved something useful.

I find this time of year to be the most stressful as things start to wake up and I know I've got a ton of things to get done before the spring rush. I start to stress about houseplants more at this time of year too for some reason. If they've survived winter so far they're normally fine but as they start to grow again I worry that they're going to get leggy or dry out.