Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• But @Lizzie27 comparative pricing was MEANT to give customers a fair deal!  The whole purpose (well, overall intention, I suppose) was that the average shopper could compare prices and value.  Shelf edge pricing lists price per volume/weight.  But no numpty seemed to think, when framing the legislation, that the unit pricing had to be uniform ie price per 100gms or price per kilo or price per litre (or variations thereof) on all similar products.  Or did they?  Was it all just a big conspiracy (aka stitch up) with the major producers having undue influence to frame the legislation so that they could be "seen" to obey the law, while at the same time, deliberately clouding the issue?  Hmmmm.  
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    Hostafan1 said:
    Cadbury is now owned the the evil that is Kraft.
    Yep. They ruined Dairymilk and I'll never forgive them for cancelling Old Jamaica.

Re comparitive pricing though I'm sure supermarkets use the different unit comparisons to make their own brand stuff look better value. I'm sure they would have resorted to obscure units if they could have got away with it. Yogurt by the gill or rice by the bushell.

If you want to see the comparitive units in action though take a look at how much Easter tax is added to chocolate just to serve it in egg format. Then they sell the surplus reduced after Easter and it's still cheaper to just buy a bar but they hope the reduced tag will pull the wool over peoples' eyes.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487
    For me, Easter eggs have to be the little Milka ones - proper chocolate and chocolate butter fat.  Lots of different fillings to suit all tastes and it means I can avoid the ones I dislike.   No paying for fancy wrapping and packaging and shapes.     Haven't eaten Cadbury's for 25 years cos by then my taste buds had grown accustomed to Belgian choc - no palm or vegetable oil. 

I do check price per kilo or unit when buying stuff like washing powder or baking ingredients because it's such a lottery between packet sizes but otherwise I buy brands I like but mostly it's fresh meat/fish/fruit/veggies and I buy what looks good and is in season when I can.   
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,836
    I remember the Easter eggs I used to have as a child, they weren’t in boxes, just chocolate with icing flowers usually daffodils and violets., on the front, the two halves stuck together, I used to keep it for ages because I didn’t want to break it. They were always hollow, no chocs inside.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,629
    Lyn said:
    always hollow, no chocs inside.
    Unlike some thieving people around here I won't mention :|
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,706
    Our local Co-op had Jaffa Cakes.  Double pack, shrink wrapped for something like £2.00 on 'special'.  They also had single packs at £1.80 for 2.  The double pack had 10 to a pack and the singles 12 to a pack.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 3,236
    @wild edges  said  I'm sure they would have resorted to obscure units if they could have got away with it. Yogurt by the gill or rice by the bushell. 

Obscure units? They are not obscure just historic  my Allotment is still measured in Rods or Poles and I will defend to the death my right to keep it that way ;) 

Seriously though we often notice that the larger pack size is often not the bargain it appears to be, and some offers are not as good as they seem you do have to look carefully, but with a GD with a severe peanut allergy we have become used to scrutinising everything we buy in great detail, from all aspects.
    AB Still learning

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,026
    Recently bought fence paint.  I could have bought two 5ltr tins at £10 each or 1 9ltr tin for £22.  Guess which I bought.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,591
    Another thing I’ve noticed , I buy fat balls to feed birds 🦅 in garden & alloment , in packets or plastic tubs , 50 a time , I use to get 4 in the hanging bird feed but I can now get 5 in , hence they are smaller 
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,487
    They are.  Our local shops seem to think birds only need feeding in autumn and don't re-stock all the fat blocks and cylinders with meal worms so I have to buy as many as I can get away with at once.     No peanuts either.

My grump for the day is "low tack" masking tape which isn't.  Painted my wall in the ex playroom.  5 coats to cover the olive green and turquoise.  Waited a week to apply low tack masking tape and do the final topcoats on the door frames.  Peeled it off ever so gently and it's brought the flipping paint with it! 

Talk about cross!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw