Forum home The potting shed

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• B3B3 Posts: 14,762
    Dulux Once my a**e. More like thrice.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 21,910
    Haven't ever met a paint that does it in one coat on walls or wood.   We are about to start on the very fetching green and turquoise ex playroom we inherited and which is about to become a bedroom.

Given that it took 9 coats to cover a stripy blue, white and orange painted boy's bedroom with sunny lemon yellow for my sewing room I reckon this will take several coats at best and 8 or 9 at worst.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,434
    Well that turned out to be an unproductive weekend. I only got half the garage cleared and organised, a couple of hours pruning and clearing up in the garden done and a bit of the landrover servicing work done. The problem was I found a 3 piece nursery furniture set on gumtree on Saturday night and spent all of Sunday driving to collect it, dismantling it, driving back, lugging it all up 2 flights of stairs, cleaning the spaces for it to go and putting it all back together again. I did save over £800 on the price they charge for it new though and I did sneak in a garden centre visit and restored one of the wooden spatulas from the kitchen which has saved it from the compost heap.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,988
    Sounds like a weekend well spent, in the current circs WE.  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,509
    edited February 2019
    My mum had painted her walls in a dark peach emulsion, I covered it with Wilco Crushed Almond Matt.    With it being so cheap I thought I would have to do it twice but not so.  Perfect with just one coat. 
    ETA...I do use a foam pad, wouldn’t have worked with a brush or roller.  When I got to the last room I couldn’t face it so asked a local builder to do it for me, he used a roller, quicker he said,  I had to go over certain places. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165
    Morning all. 
    11 1/2 hour day yesterday , Not a happy bunny. 
    Sat outside a customer's house yesterday for half an hour. Rung the door bell: dogs went mad inside. Rung the other doorbell: dogs went mad again. Called the land line: dogs went mad. Called the mobile. Voicemail. Called 10 mins later, voicemail. 
    Gave up after half an hour and left a card to say I'd been. 
    An hour later ( 25 miles away ) I got a message from head office asking if I could go back with the delivery " they didn't hear you" . Well, the flippin' dogs did. 
    Turned round, well all the way back he said " I was upstairs" , I asked his wife after he'd gone, " do you think he was asleep?" " erm yes, very probably " 
    Got home to a cold house with no hot water. No heating oil. 
    Devon.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,895
    B3 said:
    Dulux Once my a**e. 
    I really wouldn't advise it. It'll itch
    “This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic.”
    ― Terry Pratchett
    @Hostafan1 methinks he didn’t want to be disturbed at whatever he was doing while his wife was out 😳 😉 
    Re the heating ...I’d  make a flask and get back under the duvet ((hugs))
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 6,976
    Amazing how people are deaf when it comes to their dogs barking. We have one near us who sits on top of the sofa in the window all day and barks at everything. Passers by, bin men, pigeons, everything. The owners are there all day long, people come to the door, the dog barks, they hold a conversation while it goes ballistic. Daughter takes it out for a walk, yes, it barks the whole way. Funny thing is, they have another of the same breed, possibly a brother or sister,  and that never makes a sound.
    Obviously it can’t get a bark in edgewise 🙄