Forum home The potting shed
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Curmudgeons' Corner -blame it on the PITAs

• Eurovision since when were places like Israel in Europe? - not that I follow it of course
    AB Still learning

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 12,569
    Social Media Influencer. noun. A Social Media Influencer is a user on social media who has established credibility in a specific industry. A social media influencer has access to a large audience and can persuade others by virtue of their authenticity and reach.
    @Joyce21 l had to look it up ! I am wondering how l have managed without knowing this before !
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Thanks @AnniD. I think I can live without their influence.
    SW Scotland
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066
    A Boy - for Eurovision purposes, Israel has been a part of it for decades as has Turkey.   Last year I seem to remember Oz was a special guest competitor.   I reckon it's all about who is willing and able to stump up the TV fees for broadcasting which have to be paid to have an entrant so it's all about money, not geography.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    Hooray finally able to log on again! I know this is not the attitude for this thread but I knew more of you would see it.
    @wild edges I was not ignoring your advice but I had already cleared browsing history  cookies etc , that was the start of the trouble. I looked up solutions to 404 error & that what it told me to do - eventually did it again & hey presto it has worked even though the site makes me log on twice  every time at the moment. I know a lot of you access with a phone but I find that a real PITA, which is I believe where this thread came in!  :D
    I think the site has a glitch that make you sign in twice. Sometimes I open up the forum on the PC and it tells me to log in but if I hit the new posts button or forum home it realises I'm already logged in.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • GWRSGWRS Posts: 8,478
    Social media influencer , in my day would be somebody full of Bxxx Sxxx , that you just ignored 
    I use a mini iPad , really excellent 

Amused me that Australia is included in Euro Vision competition perhaps it makes if more PC , never take it serious thou 
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,481
    I think you need to have plumped up lips and other parts of your anatomy.If nature has been stingy , you use silicone or Photoshop and when you have reached the required level of perfection, you give your opinion on the most fashionable kebab shop or begonia or  whatever.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    @B3 That now makes sense of what I read the other day about such people having to say if they are paid for their promotion of fashion etc.
    SW Scotland
  • wild edgeswild edges Posts: 10,497
    Social media influencers work in a similar way to how Monty Don wears certain clothes or uses certain tools in TV programs. He might get given them as a 'gift' or he might be paid to use them as long as he sticks to BBC rules on not showing brand names. On social media though there are no rules and even less morals. Influencers are a marketing company's dream as often they'll use a free item that's been sent to them and provide free, targeted advertising to 100s of thousands of people. The savvy ones know they can get some heafty ad revenue if they promote the right things though.
    If you can keep your head, while those around you are losing theirs, you may not have grasped the seriousness of the situation.
  • B3B3 Posts: 27,481
    Delia was an influential influencer
    In London. Keen but lazy.