Forum home Tools and techniques

Monty Don’s Japanese Gardens – BBC2 Fri, February 15 21:00

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,653
    I don't like loud, loutish people either Philippa.  Japan is very crowded so they have rules about personal space which the Brits don't.  At least with paved areas in the garden you can walk steady and place a table and chairs or benches which will be stable.

Couldn't be doing with raking gravel or slippery wet decking either.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 800
    Artemis3 said:

Monty Don explores different aspects of Japanese gardens in a new two-part series on BBC2

For this new two-parter Monty Don is heading east to discover more about the intricate, unique and detailed world of Japanese gardens.

Starting in a cherry blossom orchard, Monty delves deep into one of ‘the three great gardens of Japan’ and a Zen garden before taking a lesson in the Japanese tea ceremony.

Part 2 today!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,430
    There was a Japanese Garden in the botanical gardens in Quito that we visited.  I felt like the Japanese Ambassador said after looking at some famous ladies version of a Japanese Garden.
    "Truly, we have nothing like this in Japan"
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923
    edited February 2019
    the best Japanese garden i've been to in England is the Pure Land meditation centre and Japanese garden near Newark on Trent,
    The guy who runs it has done the majority of the garden himself and has adapted many standard British garden plants to a Japanese theme, the best being cloud pruned leylandii!
    i even got a free gift as it was my birthday and the gardener is also the cafe owner and makes lovely scones!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,430
    I just wish he would put butter on them instead of Margarine. I would willingly pay a few pennies more.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 800

"Truly, we have nothing like this in Japan"
    :D
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,887
    or there's the return of Gogglebox on 4
    Devon.
  • We will all be thinking of you, Hosta, whilst enjoying Monty's Japanese gardens. ;)
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,153
    In part 2 of the programme tonight Monty went to a rose garden designed by an English man. Monty talked about the rose "Peace" which he said, correctly, had been sent all over the world as Francis Meilland (the French grower) was worried it could be lost because of the war. It was named Madame A. Meilland after his late mother. Monty said that the rose became "Peace" to celebrate the end of the war and that it is called that all over the world. But I live in France and I've never seen it called Peace here. In all the garden centres I have been to it is still Madame A. Meilland.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • PurplerainPurplerain Posts: 1,052
    I am not a fan of this type of garden anyway, but to view it through a window is just a little too artistic for me.
    SW Scotland