Forum home Tools and techniques

Monty Don’s Japanese Gardens – BBC2 Fri, February 15 21:00

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 73,625
    Hostafan1 said:
    floralies said:
    Why do I find Monty Don so soporific? It's the same with Gardeners World. 
    I'm with you, which maybe explains me heading to bed at 9.30, but I'm glad others enjoyed it . I'll give part 2 a bash next time.
    @Hostafan1 ... Maybe you should record all his programmes and play them on a bedroom tv at 2 in the morning when you can’t get to sleep 💤 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,556
    Odd it may be propping up trees, but as explained, there is a reason. Very often gardening is mixed in with how we view nature through cultural influences. Not always in respect of a tree or shrub to someone from a western view point. But it is no different to someone wanting to manipulate a shrub to grow a certain way and whilst 'space' between branches are what creates harmony to the eye, a dense shrub that has been clipped in a straight line in the west is now accepted norm and not many people question it on this forum. 
  • Zoe P2 said:
    Artemis3 said:

Monty Don explores different aspects of Japanese gardens in a new two-part series on BBC2

Please note this programme will not air in Wales.

What do the Welsh have against the Japanese?
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,086
    I found it a fascinating programme.  Agreed, our take in Britain on Japanese gardens is quite "anglicised", but many aspects pictured were beautiful, and the rest were - to me at least - interesting...  And now I don't feel I have to apologise for loving the moss in my garden.   :)
    "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 947

@Hostafan1 ... Maybe you should record all his programmes and play them on a bedroom tv at 2 in the morning when you can’t get to sleep 💤 
    Yes!  :D
  • Sam 37Sam 37 Posts: 947
    Zoe P2 said:
    Artemis3 said:

Monty Don explores different aspects of Japanese gardens in a new two-part series on BBC2

Please note this programme will not air in Wales.

What do the Welsh have against the Japanese?
    We must ask the BBC!
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,853
    Just watched it ....loved the blossum and the moss ....looking forward to next weeks 🌸🍁
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,466
    Just watched it here too - really interesting. Weirdly, I too found it slightly soporific (not in a bad way)! I don't think it was Monty so much as the quiet, reverential nature of all the gardens. However, it was interesting enough that I *didn't* fall asleep. Gorgeous moss, and I confess to liking the propped up trees. I don't really understand them though. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,696
    If you like something then an explanation of why it's being done is really not necessary.  A bit like art, if somebody has to explain to me what it's supposed to be about, they have already lost the battle. :D
  • Great fan of Monty but wasn't keen on programe, straying a bit of the normal gardening routine I think it would of been better to do a 2 episode of winter programme of gardeners world.