Forum home Tools and techniques

Monty Don’s Japanese Gardens – BBC2 Fri, February 15 21:00

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,466
    I assumed he had to do most long-distance travel and filming when he wasn't committed to fronting GW every week, ie: in winter.

I'm looking forward to it - the Japanese, and Chinese, parts of the 80 Gardens series were excellent, I thought. And whilst I'm surprised he wanted to do the tea ceremony again (he did *not* enjoy the tea last time, as far as I remember!), I'm interested in more than just gardening so have no problem if the series gives a broader cultural context. The links between the real landscape, the traditional styles of painting, and garden design mores in the Chinese bit of 80 Gardens were really enlightening imo.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,653
    edited February 2019
    Yes, but if you're filming the mating rituals of the green-lipped mussel you go in the breeding season.  If you're filming a famous summer garden you don't go in winter, and vice versa.  He could have done the summer garden during the Wimbledon lay off.

He was gracious enough to pop into the then BBC run GW forum at the time and discuss the programme at the time and agreed it had planning and scheduling issues.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,466
    That's interesting - he said as much during the programme (I watched it for the first time fairly recently, in case you're thinking I've got an amazing memory. I haven't). Personally, I didn't feel it lost *too* much by the seasonal mismatch... or maybe I just enjoy things 'off peak' :wink:
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,853
    Really looking forward to it too 😀. 
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 800

Monty Don explores different aspects of Japanese gardens in a new two-part series on BBC2

Two more days! :)
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,187
    With my vast experience of exactly one traditional Japanese tea ceremony I would say it is an interesting exercise in contemplation although the final product is a world away from a normal British mug of builder's tea  :D I had expected something similar to Chinese green tea but it was more like cold slightly salty foam. 

I do like the gardens though, looking forward to the programmes.
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 800
    Today is the day!
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,853
    Yay 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,309
    Just remembered about this.
    Also remembered “this programme will not air in Wales”.
    No problem though thanks to iPlayer. 

I love Japanese style and planting - I have many Japanese plants in my garden, including several gorgeous Acers. I hope there is more inspiration tonight. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,887
    I gave up half way through and went to bed.
    Devon.